The Last and Only Bike...

oldave":21chz9g0 said:
Cleared the garage of EVERYTHING except the one bike and a spare set of wheels for it over last few months. Even one is really more than I can justify - near 3 weeks immobile after eye surgery reduced my cycling health to a max of 7-8 miles gentle rolling.

But the '89 Dawes Escape (heavily altered) might as well stay. Most of it - frame & forks, wheels, C'set - came from here, so thanks all for my last bicycle. I collect my OAP from tomorrow, so I suppose I've had a fair run.

I'd long promised myself an expensive bike as a 65th prezzie. Ironic - I have the money but not the lungs. Moral? DON'T WAIT!

Doubt I'll call in here much from now - keep seeing stuff I'd like but for which I have no use!

Ride safe all.

dave j

I rather like that - seems rather purposeful.

Keep using it.

I really like the Dawes - all the more for the original resurrection thread.

Great to see it looking good and being built up in a fashion that suits its function.

Big thumbs up for your tide. Looks dead comfy. We are here for a good time not a long time, as they say.

Enjoy in good health :)

Hi Dave. I rather like it too. As you can see from my sig, i'm a Dawes fan too. Not the coolest brand, but good quality bikes that ride well and are built to last. I hope i'm still able to do a few miles now and then come my retirement, as you are.

All the best

Marge

Thanks all for the encouraging words. I'm slowly increasing "the miles" - 10-12 per morning now doable. Fitness can drop very quickly the older one gets - in 2010 I averaged just over 1000 kms per month!

Might try a ride on the son's steel Rockhopper (with some good parts incl XTR) that has sat in the garage for most of the 10 years or so since I carefully built it for him.

Good stuff Dave, you're as old as the bike you ride…or something like that :facepalm:

Keep on chugging, you're an inspiration :cool:

Rich

O.K. Im older than you so I feel I can make comment.
For Gods sake man stop writing yourself off. The oldest man to complete an iron man competition was in his eighties. You will have spent your working life looking forward to the day when your time is your own and now its here. Increase the milage. Buy something with a bit of flair that will encourage you to get fitter. Yes it is hard to hold fitness so every reason to keep riding. What have you got to loose? I know we are fighting a continual battle with age related problems but the alternative is not worth considering. As someone said. Hit the grave in a broadside slide at full bore with every bit worn out and knackered. Just do it!
All the best
Peter

Well...not the place for health issues in depth, but once hit severe COPD and a lung age of >94 getting fitter is not a possibility. Best is delaying the worsening - and in 2012 my lung capacity held exactly steady. My COPD nurse was very impressed! The bald stats of my spirometry indicate that slowly walking a few '00 yards on the level should be the height of my ability.

Weighing the same < 9st for 50 years is my big advantage.

Points taken!

As a salamol user I can appreciate that.Perhaps what I am getting at is whilst non of us can prevent the body going we must never let the dream go with it. Keep pushing and planning.It can do nothing but good. Maintain a future and plan for more.Everything else is simply something to overcome.
Regards
Peter

Love it; looks like a leisurely cruiser. I would have loved riding up the Taff Trail on this, no problem. A nice flattish route on a sunny day... Heaven!

Back