1973 Flandria

Small update while I'm still waiting to get the frame back from the powdercoater:

Cleaned and polished the hubs/rims and put some new Vittoria tanwalls on the wheels. I've also cleaned and greased the Dura Ace 6sp freewheel. Bugloss, also on this forum, helped me out with a spare axle for the rear hub. Big thanks!

5d4eoj.jpg

Sourced a REG bottle cage that cleaned up nicely:

6g97o9.jpg

Small Campagnolo sticker to put between the downtube shifters:

2wmnt3t.jpg

The original Alfredo Binda straps were completely worn out. I've cleaned up the buckles and fixed some new leather straps for them. Nice detail to keep the old spirit and stories a bit on the bike imo :)

2m60thy.jpg

Can't wait to get the frame back! Hope I can pick it up next week. Anyone has some experience with Uni Posca markers, to do the lug lining?

That's a great way to protect the bottom bracket threads. Now, I like to think of myself as a clever chap - why didn't I think of that? :D

Axel is in the post tomorrow morning and I'm very impressed with the tin foil chrome, I'll have to give it a go.

My dad's called REG i'll have to get one of them bottle cages :)

Jonny69":1t9ulu5v said:
That's a great way to protect the bottom bracket threads. Now, I like to think of myself as a clever chap - why didn't I think of that? :D

A bit more work than fitting old cups, but it only took me 10 minutes to make the wooden pieces with a hole saw. I used some sanding paper to smoothen them and then forced them in the bottom bracket for 4-5 mm. The bolt is to prevent powder/laquer to get through the hole that is drilled by the hole saw.

Axel is in the post tomorrow morning and I'm very impressed with the tin foil chrome, I'll have to give it a go.

My dad's called REG i'll have to get one of them bottle cages :)

Thanks again! Unfortunately, the bottle cage only has a small 'REG' stamp on the underside, so it's not visible once mounted. But I can have a look in my parts bin, I might have some brand new REG top tube cable clips for you, if you want. Like these: http://bilder.afterbuy.de/images/57273/ ... ips_09.JPG

I am confused as to why a powdercoat job is needed on this frame. It has a few scratches yes, but I would polish the paint to a high shine and touch up the chips with a little model paint. NICE bike though, and looking forward to the finished product.

Miguello":3m2q1x39 said:
I am confused as to why a powdercoat job is needed on this frame. It has a few scratches yes, but I would polish the paint to a high shine and touch up the chips with a little model paint. NICE bike though, and looking forward to the finished product.

Good point! I decided to powdercoat the frame, although I'm also convinced that it always should be the last option, cause it can only be original once. But this frames paint was in bad condition. I've gone though the pictures I've posted here, and from them the paint looks in reasonably good condition. But trust me, in reality, it was way worse :). Top tube was full of scratches and the paint was blistering off... Have checked my other pictures and don't have good pics of the paints condition, unfortunately!

And a bigger update today!

On thursday, an enveloppe arrived from the UK with Bugloss' axle inside! Thanks again for helping me out! At first, it looked like this:

rkvwif.jpg

One hour, loads of grease and finetuning later, it looked like this:

2i8ul8y.jpg

On Friday, I got even better news. The frame was ready for pickup. This is how I got it home:

98zrpx.jpg

scry4p.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the result, considering that it only costed me more or less 30 pounds. I asked if it was possible to apply a thin layer, to keep the edges of the lugs sharp. There are some small flaws and it isn't the perfect quality of a wetpainted frame, but still I'm very happy with the result. The lugs are sharp, and the serial number on the non-ds dropout is still visible. Even the 'Campagnolo' letters on the dropout are still visible.

Yesterday and today I've done some work on the frame:
-removed the duct-tape that protected the chrome and cleaned this mess up
-applied the decals
- installed the BB
- installed the headset
- installed the shifters
- did the luglining with black and gold enamel paint, a good paintbrush and a lining pen

The result:

ojkqrr.jpg

34fk41u.jpg

280tctj.jpg

2vjsb5g.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I do with the rebuilding of this bike :).

I'll keep you updated when I find time to work further on the bike!

bugloss":3anfkd3c said:
Hey, I want my axel back and can I have the wheel it's attached to as well ? :D

Haha, we might arrange something, as long as you don't want the frame too that is attached to that wheel at the moment :D

Color me impressed, and a little jealous. Looks amazing, and I am glad you found a powdercoater that knows the deal. Nice crisp lug edges! Most of the ones around here seem to forget you actually have to bolt things TO the frame, instead of just hanging it on the wall. So thick you can't make out the lug edges, and you have to block sand the bottom bracket facing to get them flat enough for use. Can't wait for the finished pics!

Back