Your training plans - help needed

NeilM":2evb1p28 said:
I use a Garmin to log my rides, HR, cadence, ave speed, ave power and time. I store all this on Strava and also on Garmin's own site. It is all private, so only invited people can share the data, and I use it to analyse my progress.

So far I have seen my ave power slowly go up, my ave HR coming down, my ave speeds going up, although a lot depends on conditions, as riding into a strong headwind will bring you ave speeds down. I have combined this knowledge with my riding experience of certain training routes, noting that killer climbs are now not quite so killer, or as my son puts it "they don't get easier, they just get faster".

^^^ This

BITD we didn't "drop" people from our club runs, we slowed down for people or pushed younger members along.

The first post by mattr sort of sums it up...... :)

V02 max and riding to a certain HRM or Power output is all well and good but club runs are half fun and half training, well they were a long time ago.

Shaun

Agree with Midlife. As a youth, I can lay claim to be pushed back on by Paul Sherwin once as I struggled over the Welsh mountains. I just think it's best to try to enjoy it and let some form come naturally - which it will over time. It sounds though that you are reasonably cycling fit - at your own pace rather than with others for the moment.

Over 20 years ago, a National Champion gave me this tip as I was yo-yo-ing on and off the back which I have never forgotten and it works "look about 3 to 4 riders in front to see any changes of speed. If it picks up and you are knackered, just up your gear one sprocket".

Some sound advice from you all - thanks :)

I am making some changes to my solo training, from your suggestions ;)

And I think maybe the Club that I tried was not the one for me, it certainly did not cater for my 'aims'

The search continues :!:

Any ideas what the cheapest used Garmin there is which gives altitude that can me downloaded onto these websites ? Garmin 305 ? I have googled them and checked on evilbay but still :?

I have a tendency to break valuable things :oops:

The 305 is pretty cheap, I sold mine for £50 inc two mounts. That said, I only paid £80 for the 500.

A couple of things to note. There are almost no after market bar mounts for the 305. You can get the Garmin mounts everywhere and they are not expensive, but you can't get any of the fancy Bar Fly or other mounts. A couple of companies are supposed to be making adaptors, to allow you to fit a 305 to the aftermarket 'quarter twist' mounts, but I've not seen any yet and the prices mentioned were pretty expensive. Also the 305 will only download data to web based sites like Garmins and Strava, where as the 500 acts as a mass storage device and although I don't do this my son downloads all the data into some program he has that allows him to analyse power outputs and speeds and goodness knows what else. It's all a bit over my head and I'm happy for Strava to put all the charts and table together for me to look at.

I bought my 305 from the bay and sold it in the classifieds here, which is where I bought my 500 from, they also turn up on Singletrack World and even on London fixed gear so it's worth just looking around.

NeilM,

Very interesting - would you consider starting a Garmin/Strava/Electronic Things thread. Perhaps you could get your son to explain what he does.

These new electronic gadgets are beyond me but, from what i have read, they can be useful. I am still getting used to STis!!!

Richard

I could easily start a thread Richard, but I'm not sure if it would be useful or even appropriate.

I'll bounce it off the mods, if they are good with it, I'll fire away.

I think it would be of use to luddites like me, I like the idea of electronic assistance but have no idea where to start. For example, i have a smart phone and may be getting an iPhone in the near future - i am pretty sure i can get apps (is that the right spelling) for the phones to track my ride (Strava, track my ride and another one). From what i have read above a Garmin ? can do the same type of thing and maybe more - which is best and how do they work?

It may be the case that i am alone in my ignorance but there are usually a few people who could benefit from some relevent info. A good example is the tub thread - lots of great info on it solely related to tubs.

See what the bosses think, maybe they know all about this stuff already!!!

Thanks,

Richard

Back