Shimano XT M739 Crank and Chainrings (1997)

Nem

Dirt Disciple
Hi

Just stripped down my cranks to see if I could cure the constant creaking to find that two of the chainring bolts were snapped and on top of that there is a crack on the crank itself in the square center hole running from the inside to about half way through.

Firstly, are chainring bolts which I can pick up today the same size etc etc, so I could just easily get replacements? (Daft question I know)

Secondly, I think I might be able to get the crank ground out and welded, have a friend who can do this for me, but failing that, what other cranks could I source. Does anything modern fit, or am I going to need something older?

Thanks.

Aye, chainring bolts are still the same.
Modern chainsets will fit your bike, though very little is available in the square taper type you currently use. Most chainsets nowadays use the external bottom bracket system. keep checking the likes of ebay if you want to stay with square taper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Chainse ... 4ac91da518

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
+1 to that. Check listings of single arms (make sure you buy the same length), you might find what you need at a snip as these often go for less than half of the pair price.

M739 can be bought relatively cheap when you find a private seller, even on eBay. Those multi listings often have the right parts but charge premium prices. Put a wanted ad up on here!

What length are the crank arms?
I have left and right XT 739 cranks arms at 172.5mm.
They have insane heel rub, which has worn past the anodising, especially on the non drive side.
Threads and tapers look fine.

You can have them for the cost of postage.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll take some pics..?

Cheers!

I replaced an LX M569 chainset (basically the same as an M739) with a new Alivio (square taper) from ebay for under £30. Not as pretty but a straight swap and its works perfectly.

This is the one, seller posted quickly too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251309508877? ... 1423.l2648

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks everyone, found a set posted on here for £40 delivered so have snapped them up!

Next problem is I've found one of the spoke nipples on the rear wheel has almost pulled itself through the rim :(

You could try inserting a couple of small washers between the nipple and the rim. Failing that, you'll need a new rim.

Back