Replacement brake Bosses

TrevorKershaw

Retro Guru
Hi folks,

I bought some replacement brake bosses, Ti nitride, for my Pace RC35 MXC’s as the ones fitted were rusted to hell. The new bosses are a mite smaller in diameter and a lot less in length, possibly 6 or 7 mm.

Does anyone know if there is a danger of the brake bosses working loose and failing during heavy usage? I don’t fancy having to find out on a steep decent. I’m long past my younger, brain-in-the-toolbox – ride the bike and sod the consequences days. These days I prefer to get home in one piece!

Greetings
Depending on what brakes you are using. The important distance is the length of the bearing surface not the overall length of the studs. Also use some blue locktite on the stud threads if you are concerned about them loosening. Hope this helps.
Cheers

tatra":2ga3l06j said:
Greetings
Depending on what brakes you are using. The important distance is the length of the bearing surface not the overall length of the studs. Also use some blue locktite on the stud threads if you are concerned about them loosening. Hope this helps.
Cheers
With these I'll be sourcing some old XTR/XT cantilevers to use with my Dia Compe SS7's - a retro set up.

"The important distance is the length of the bearing surface". I'm not sure what you mean by this, could you please explain?

Cheers. :?

The internal part of the brake arm that slides over the stud. Put a small dab of grease on the stud bearing surface as well as loctite blue on the brake arm fixing bolt during final assy.
Cheers

Rampage":2etrddpq said:
Have you got a picture of old and new next to each other?
I thought that a pic of the bosses might help and also a pic of the fitting on the forks, however I cannot find my bleedin' camera I use to take pics for upload. My Nikon cannot take small enough pics. Will do this once I have found it.

Here are the pictures...

1/ with new boss fitted. There appears to be more room with the new boss, however I had a think about it and considered that corrosion could have caused the gap difference. Is that possible?

2/ brake boss mount on forks.

3/ new and old, side-by-side, with old boss in the return spring recess plate.

Attachments

• DSCF1692.JPG
    DSCF1692.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF1682.JPG
    DSCF1682.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF1678.JPG
    DSCF1678.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 223
That's too short to work safely.
If you put them in and finger tighten them, there shouldn't really be any movement, if there is then its the wrong thread / undersize.
I imagine those studs are designed for the other type of spring plate which were only circa 1mm thick.

Try justbackdated on here or Pace for the thin plate version.

Back