Non suspension hub on suspension forks.. Bad idea?

PopsTrippin

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
What's the deal?

I have decided to dig my Manitou 3's out of the shed and fit them to my IFT to jack the front of the bike up a bit to relieve my aching back on long rides.

Thing is i have Hope lightweights fitted and i am wondering if i'm putting too much stress onto them?

Suspension hubs were more about trying to stiffen noodly forks for better steering.

There were some sus fork specific hubs like the XT 110 parallax and the hope ti ones but, normal hubs are fine and will do the job no problem. I've run stx with rockshox, white industries with rockshox and '95 LX with girvin vectors.

I remember around 93 before anyone had started to make suspension specific hubs you could buy outer lock nuts with a larger flange diameter. I can't remember who had them, maybe Wheels. Tried a set on a 732 hub on my first Mag21. They did make a small difference in side to side tracking stiffness. Haven't seen a set since then.

This was just an early example of companies extracting more money from consumers by telling them there was a problem that their new product could overcome... fair enough, that's progress and evolution, without which we would still be scooting around on wooden, pedal-less bone shakers...
Today however, because we get all get misty eyed about how much simpler, more honest or better things were when we were kids, or when we first got into mtb, it's ok... yet have a moan about too many gears, weird wheel sizes, hydro-forming and new designs, or not v brakes or discs....
Make no mistake, things were exactly the same then as they are now

So yes, that hub will be fine

G

I will not break or snap, I ran the standard hope hub (became the lightweight) on mag21's until I dug it out the old shed some 5 years back.

Make no mistakes though the hope mono suspension is a much better hub at locking the front end together, as would the fatso I guess. The ti-glide era suspension I don't know but could test I guess.

Shimano 732/900 etc are a bit different as they have a good steel axle.

For some 1994 thinking, pop into the archive and look for the hub review with some flexibility testing.

Back