Front disc install - splined hub

doubledeuce

Dirt Disciple
Planning to put a cable front disc on the Tufftrax (not very retro sorry). I've read the Avid BB7's are the best brakes but the thing is, I have Shimano wheels with a splined disc fitting. Would I best be to just go with a Deore (which can come with a splined disc) or get a BB7 caliper and use a Shimano disc (any reason not to?)

(can't really do hydraulic because I have M739 combined shifter/brake lever so changing it all would be a right palarva)

Cheers!

Personally I'd use a Shimano disc, you can get centre lock adaptors but to put six bolt rotors on Shimano hubs but I'm not 100% happy with how they hold the rotor and apparently there can be clearance problems but I've not experienced any personally.

I've been fiddling with this and there's a couple of issues.......
1) The Shimano braking track of the rotor is narrower than the BB7 pads. This means that you are not getting the full effect of the BB7 - which are very good. I set the calipers high on the outer diameter limit, and filled away a small portion of the pad lower so it wouldn't wear the rotor arms that support the braking track.
2) If you use "spider" rotors like RT79, the tab on the BB7 pads need to be cut away. The "spider" rotors are nice and stiff which is actually a problem as the BB7 relies on a bit of rotor flex to work. The XT one listed above I guess shouldn't have that issue.

My advice after faffing and not really being happy with the combo, is simply get this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se/e ... -prod40908

The other alternative is to simply use a full Shimano set-up, and skip the BB7 in favor of possibly an inferior caliper.

Back