Sub 4 lb Steel Frame (Sunn)

Bone Machine

Dirt Disciple
CRC had these frames on sale last week. They were selling them as "recycled", but they're brand new. The frame was listed as an unbranded Sunn Revolt. I'm not sure if this is new old stock, or a modern reproduction of a vintage style.
The tubing is Fuji Stout-Light, and the frame weighs 1770grams.
I've been trying to find more information about Fuji bike tubes, but haven't had much luck. I'd appreciate anyone sharing their knowledge of the subject.

lcjz.jpg

tkpi.jpg

du18.jpg

974v.jpg

7tcx.jpg

Nice frame, I assume they have all gone at CRC now though?

I don't know much about Fuji Stout Light tubing other than that it is nice high quality stuff.
That one also looks very much like the Sunn Revolt I have seen.

Does it have a 1 inch head tube? I think that Sunn used these well into the mid 90s.

Sunn used Fuji tubes in the nineties.
If it is a Sunn, which it looks to be, it should have 1" headtube.
Really nice frame :shock: I wish it was mine :D

Cheers:
Jens

You're right. It does look like chrome. The CRC ad just said it was unpainted steel.
It does have a 1" headtube. The serial # is YM96050030. Does that reveal anything?

When I stumbled on these, night (EST) of Sept 4, there were three in stock. I ordered one right away. The next afternoon, I got greedy and was going to get another one, but they were sold out. They were being sold for $130 CAD.

The serial number on my 98 Sunn starts with an S and then a series of numbers with the second two being 97, so I presume that was the build year as opposed to the selling year. I may have come from a different factory though.

I've also grabbed one of these from CRC, but there's something strange with the geometry data. I'm asking about on another thread

Frame tubing was being top class that time, similar to Tange's famous steel
Here's some metallurgy and geomery data in French.

Attachments

• 95x30.JPG
    95x30.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 977
Back