RetroBike National Series Rd 6: Peak District ~ 14/09/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Methinks im going to get very wet if the weather is poo, cant find me a waterproof jacket from anywhere, and i dont own one currently :cry:

The peaks are fairly well drained sand stone type of terrain, of course there may be a few puddles but by no means a mud bath.

Don't worry, the first testing climb is well surfaced asphalt ;)

Simply put, the weather looks ok for tomorrow's ride, on the cool side.

To do..

charge camera batteries.
Find appropriate footwear.
Get harrycrumbs' wheels and frame ready.
Feed goldfish.

see you in the morning!

Brilliant, i can deal with cold and mud, i just hate being wet and staying wet, although im rather nervous of this huge climb you all keep going on about, but im looking forward to it!

Bikes all ready, just need to sort sarnies out and such in morning!

The first climb isn't that big, it just has a few steep sections. We will be offering a short-cut this year though. That said, a low gear, pacing and persistence will get most people up without stopping.

As Mr K and Marc point out, the forecast for tomorrow is looking okay at the moment. It should hopefully stay dry.
The recent rain will have made a few sections a little damp, but about 95% of the route is on gritstone based trails. These are sandy and drain well, abrasive on your rims though.

Not sure what the singletrack descent off Bradwell Edge will be like tomorrow. It has been a dry summer so it shouldn't be too bad. It's always good fun though.

The second significant climb through Pin Dale (hill climb challenge) is just steep loose and rocky. The gradient slackens and the surface improves up Dirtlow Rake.

There will be a few big puddles to slalom or splash on the lane over Old Moor. I expect the Mam Tor and Hollins Cross ridge and descent will be great as usual with little mud before the food stop at around 2pm.

After that Jagger's Clough and Hope Brink are all well drained and the views are spectacular.

If all goes to plan we should be back in Hope for 4pm for post ride parts scavenging and some awards or two.

Pack a waterproof just in case though.

i'm out :(
i was just changing my handlebar, and everything was fine til i went to tighten the left thumbie.
now the thread is stripped and the shifter just spins round on the bar, can't get it tight any more.
so if anyone has an old deore xt left hand thumbshifter or just the mount please keep me in mind.
have a good one guy's.
look forward to lots of pics.

I suspect sneaking in the back door at 0444 isn't conducive to a 1000 breakfast/assault on the mast... oops!

videojetman":131tywff said:
i'm out :(
i was just changing my handlebar, and everything was fine til i went to tighten the left thumbie.
now the thread is stripped and the shifter just spins round on the bar, can't get it tight any more.
so if anyone has an old deore xt left hand thumbshifter or just the mount please keep me in mind.
have a good one guy's.
look forward to lots of pics.

Use a longer bolt.

mrkawasaki":1niveg91 said:
I suspect sneaking in the back door at 0444 isn't conducive to a 1000 breakfast/assault on the mast... oops!
Getting your excuses in nice and early there Neil.

See you all in a bit. Really looking forward to today's ride.

Hoorah!

Jeff that's a terrible excuse - get down here and between us we'll sort it out. I have a spare front shifter you can un-NOS for me! :LOL:

Weather so far is windy and damp.

Outside the tent however, it's shaping up to be a lovely day for riding :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back