show us your cars 2

Interesting - from the review you linked to I see the dash was basically carried over almost untouched to the 850 series, and from there (with some unnecessary curves added) to the phase 1 x70 series.

I love it when people can accept that something is just right and leave it as it is, and hate the current fad for changing stuff simply to make it look different.

I've always said that the interior of my 850 was pretty much ergonomic and logical perfection for me, never found better. Supremely comfortable too!

ajm":ubjg03ns said:
Interesting - from the review you linked to I see the dash was basically carried over almost untouched to the 850 series, and from there (with some unnecessary curves added) to the phase 1 x70 series.

I love it when people can accept that something is just right and leave it as it is, and hate the current fad for changing stuff simply to make it look different.

I've always said that the interior of my 850 was pretty much ergonomic and logical perfection for me, never found better. Supremely comfortable too!

I think the 850s were an excellent model - although I think the subtle tweaks to the phase 1 70 series did improve things, and the I5 engines were excellent.

I'd still love to get a 700 (ideally a 6 pot) or possible a 900 - always wanted a 3.0 S90, too.

This 2nd generation 760 has the same dashboard as the later 960/s90 series.

I am personally no fan of the 1st gen s70/v70 interior. Not the dashboard, not the door panels.

This thread needs..
pipe.jpg

and the last decent Volvo..
Volvo-144-Norway-1973.jpg

Unfortunately not mine, but I had a tan estate for a while, solid motor!

danwithaplan":1mrmrtjf said:
Here's my soon to leave me Citroen CX:

2chq6uv.jpg

Possibly the coolest car I'll ever own.

I don't think I could ever get rid of something like that :( I've heard that CXs are unlike any other car to drive - totally weird for the first few miles, but once you get used to them they're supremely nice. I think I'd have one over a DS, purely for practicality (and better engines).

And don't get me started on Volvo 700s - I had a mint condition pale met blue 740 saloon, early pre-facelift with loads of fake chrome and full heated leather :cool: it's the one car I bitterly regret having to get rid of, and I'd have it back in an instant. I've owned far quicker, more agile (and prettier) cars, but never anything that just felt so completely 'me'. No, I don't smoke a pipe.

The CX IS great. The DIRAVI steering and Citroen powered brakes confuse everybody at first.

It used to be said that if you test drove one, you would hate it for the first 30 minutes, but after that you would wonder why any car was made any other way and you would never want to drive anything else.

As for the engines, until the Douvrin engines were fitted in 1979, the series 1 cars in 2000, 2200, and 2400 cc petrol engine form had exactly the same engines as the last DS models.

If you can't afford a DS, get a CX. If you can't afford a CX, get a GS/GSA or an XM. Seriously. a V6 XM gives around 90% of the experience of an SM, for around 1/20 th of the price.

My 760 has the B280E engine, what is in fact a redesigned Douvrin V6. I like the sound. A joy especially with open roof.

Tomorrow there is a PRV ride in Holland >>>

http://www.douvrin.eu/

grahame":ci7f4bjm said:
The CX IS great. The DIRAVI steering and Citroen powered brakes confuse everybody at first.

It used to be said that if you test drove one, you would hate it for the first 30 minutes, but after that you would wonder why any car was made any other way and you would never want to drive anything else.

As for the engines, until the Douvrin engines were fitted in 1979, the series 1 cars in 2000, 2200, and 2400 cc petrol engine form had exactly the same engines as the last DS models.

If you can't afford a DS, get a CX. If you can't afford a CX, get a GS/GSA or an XM. Seriously. a V6 XM gives around 90% of the experience of an SM, for around 1/20 th of the price.

Ah, I thought all the DSs had ancient clattery engines - although it's irrelevant as I'll never afford one! The CX is slowly working its way up my bucket list though, maybe one day.... I remember my parents had French visitors to stay in the mid-80s, who brought their brand-spanking new CX over on the ferry. My Dad was driving a rusty Mk1 Granada at the time, and when I went out in the CX it was like being in a spaceship :LOL:

grahame":ormf1u35 said:
Ooh, a Series 1 Pallas but with Athena wheels? That is cool.

Almost as cool as my DS.

big_110_1.jpg

I don't know. Like a lot of my favourite cars the DS is a little spoiled for me thanks to the way it is used every time someone making a film or advert wants to slot in some French cool.

The CX is less exposed, a little like the Porsche 914 compared to, say, a 912.

The 912 is the classic, but do I want another one?

I prefer the quirky Porsche VW 914, an itch I have never scratched (properly).

Mind you, a DS Wagon/Safari, that would be a cool load lugger!

I remember being wafted home across the Highlands after crewing in my friend's yacht down to Oban from Scrabster in his mom's DS Safari. Like a magic carpet ride, although she seemed to have a problem feeling the verge, something I have experienced in modern Citroens!

Back