Stuck brake arm (pics up)

Tc

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
got a stuck brake arm on a fork stud any ideas or fixes?

null_zpsfbe20488.jpg

null_zps0d44e4d4.jpg

Re: Stuck brake arm

Screwdriver between for tab and brake and some gentle leverage usually works.

The stud is off a pair of Judy's & it's come off with the brake arm and it just spins now

You could always put the stud back on by hand, enough thread to ensure you aren't going to strip it.

Another suggestion that worked for me on a stuck m950 bb, adapted to this application:

Partially screw in a brake bolt into the stud (use a long one), find somewhere that has a hole/gap wide enough for the boss to fit through, but narrow enough to support the brake arm.

Hit the bolt with a hammer (quick and hard-ish, don't ponce around with gentle taps unless you want to). This should free it up. For the cranks I used a socket the same diameter as the crank axle and it worked a treat.

Cheers Ian but I think I'm gonna have to get a pic up

Find a couple of nuts with the right thread, screw them on the back of the canti stud. Screw them securely against eachother (using 2 spanners) and they won't move anymore.
You can then put a spanner or a wrench on them (or mount them in a vice) to stop the canti stud from rotating while you unscrew the bolt on the other end of the brake booster.

Raging_Bulls":1lo7rk4y said:
Find a couple of nuts with the right thread, screw them on the back of the canti stud. Screw them securely against eachother (using 2 spanners) and they won't move anymore.
You can then put a spanner or a wrench on them (or mount them in a vice) to stop the canti stud from rotating while you unscrew the bolt on the other end of the brake booster.

What he said :cool:

I recently used this method to strip a ringle without any skewer damage :

WD :D

Given that that looks like a titanium stud (and should be). I'd just use a mole wrench if I had one or try through the various pliers to grab the unthreaded part. Unsightly marks are not going to be seen.

Back