Shamal 8-spd to 10-spd - Campy hub/cassette compatibility

Newman8

Devout Dirtbag
Campy cassette/hub compatibilty - Shamal 8-spd to 10-spd?

Have tried a number of combinations of wheels/cassettes/chainrings over last couple of years including 2x Shimano/Mavic combos (one with triple chainrings) & 2x all Campy sets, both with standard 39-53 double chainrings - all with downtube shifters up till now...

Here's what I'm left with at mo:
1. Modern Scirocco clinchers, 10-spd with both 12-25 & 13-29 options.
2. Vintage Shamal tubs, with 8-spd 11-23.
3. Veloce 10-spd Ergo shifters (not yet installed).

Clearly I'm expecting the Sciroccos to work with the shifters, but what I'd really like to do is get the Shamals running with the bigger cassette - but not sure if this is poss?

Not sure if the OLN is the same - it actually looks the same to the naked eye & a ruler but it's possible they may be a mm or even two different - but - the 10-spd cassettes are a different fit:
Different spline pattern & diameter.
(Can try & load some photos over weekend).
Do I have any easy options? Is there any way it's possible to switch the freehubs from one set of wheels to the other or get a freehub for Shamals that would take the other cassette?

I've searched archives & web generally for good answer. There was post on here couple of yrs ago http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=142311 that suggested freehub from mirage hub may fit & accept 9/10-spd (if I read it correctly) & I also noticed that Ambrosio Zenith hubs are the same 'bell' shape so wonder if that freehub might be interchangeable?

What about changing the centre of hub body / axel without having to undo all spokes?

It's not actually the '10-spd' I'm bothered about - it's really just the bigger rings to help with the hills(!) & went down this road as couldn't find suitable 7 or 8-spd cassette.

I'd be gutted to have to sell the Shamals though...

Re: Shamal 8-spd to 10-spd - Campy hub/cassette compatibilit

There was a thread on this last week and the conclusion was 8 speed to 10 speed is a no go...

Thanks - didn't pick that up on any searches b4 but have read it now.
In meantime - I've had suggestions about some obscure, hard to find parts that might do the job - in particular a certain pre-2000 Campy freehub - but looks like the Shamals will be reluctantly going on eBay...

Best bet for 8 speed Campag is 26 tooth rear cog (I don't think they made anything larger) paired with the smallest period front ring, which I think is 39t. That sees me up everything I've come across so far.
I'd have thought that a bigger problem for you would be the indexed shifters which will be 8 or 10 speed and harder to swop over than wheels.

Ditch the Shamals as the extra weight will drag you back down the hills! If you keep them then stay with 8 speed and do as glpinxit suggested and get the Record 8 speed 13-26 cassette. Still available from the likes of Ribble Cycles http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ampcass200

I have successfully changed an 8 speed Campag hub to 10 speed by changing the freehub body but that was a standard hub not a Shamal so don't know if it's as easy on those.

Mark.

Newman8":1d9ki4mx said:
.... looks like the Shamals will be reluctantly going on eBay...

I'm after some 8-speed Shamals to go on a build i'm just starting...if you have a set price in mind rather than a bidding war let me know...may be able to do a deal :)

FINNEY1973":mwkn4ixc said:
Newman8":mwkn4ixc said:
.... looks like the Shamals will be reluctantly going on eBay...

I'm after some 8-speed Shamals to go on a build i'm just starting...if you have a set price in mind rather than a bidding war let me know...may be able to do a deal :)

Sure - thanks - will give you a shout if so...
Haven't totally given up on finding a solution yet but looking more unlikely now!
Will decide prob by middle of week.
I actually love the ride I get from the Sciroccos - just that the transfers are a bit brash but might just take those off...

Shamals use record hubs so a freehub swap should be easy.

Campagnolo made 8 speed cogs up to 32T

You can indeed switch the freehub on a Shamal wheel with early modern generation freehubs. I have also read somewhere that a Corima freehub will work too.

I've heard that the 1st gen of 9-spd freehubs fit. I saw one that looked promising NOS - a snip at just a little under £500! (it was a complete hub & postage was free)... Not spotted another yet...
Also never managed to spot any bigger cogs in the 8-spd though I'm sure they exist...

I have come across a simple solution in principal - get wheel disassembled & have rim rebuilt on new Novatec F272 silver Campag 32h rear hub using alternate holes.
A little short of £100 inc parts & labour... Not cheap but seems fair enough...

Back