6 speed freewheel

bikenut2010":16o01v7s said:
Chuck moo":16o01v7s said:
Midlife":16o01v7s said:
First double check that the rear mech can cope with the large cog :). I have bought from campyoldy, not the cheapest but the kit I got was brand new from the 70's and I have never heard a bad word about him. Any chance of getting a smaller chainring ?

Shaun

I am running a 41 on a record chainset, so no smaller and the rear mech is super record and my homework said it should shift upto 28 teeth
41T front and 22 rear = 50" gear, a 39T ( smallest ring on Campy ) = 47"
or 39T and 28 rear even better 37" gear which I use on all but stupid silly 20% hills where I use a compact ( 34T front )

On old 144mm BCD Record it's 41T minimum.

To the OP a 28T cog with a Super record rear mech didn't work for me. The top jockey wheel crashed into the cog as it shifted onto it and I didn't fancy risking damage to the rear mech. I know others say they run the combination OK but no amount of chain length alteration and moving the wheel to different positions in the dropouts got it working smoothly.

Mark.

I have just looked on the Campoldy website as I am looking for a better geared 6 speed Suntour and noticed they are in Wimborne which is just round the corner from me :D

Chuck moo":6trn9qvd said:
So mark what size did you manage to run then?

24 worked well, 26 might just work but will probably mean shortening the chain so much there are only 3 usable gears on the big ring. In the end I ditched the Campag chainset (52/42) and fitted a Suntour Superbe Pro with a 130mm BCD so I could run a 38T inner ring.

Mark.

daccordimark":33f6b4um said:
To the OP a 28T cog with a Super record rear mech didn't work for me. The top jockey wheel crashed into the cog as it shifted onto it and I didn't fancy risking damage to the rear mech. I know others say they run the combination OK but no amount of chain length alteration and moving the wheel to different positions in the dropouts got it working smoothly.

Mark.

I have a bike with old 144 record and run a 14-28 freewheel on a nuovo record rear mech with no problems, weird stuff... :shock:

I was able to run a 14-28 with a NR rear mech if I ran it with a single 42t chain ring. If I introduced a double so it was 42/52 and a longer chain, the jockey wheel clashed wih the 28 cog.

Back