Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Picked up this 1988 Blizzard locally yesterday .....to be honest I only bought it as I needed the front cantis for my 88 Cannondale project. Had a quick scoot around the block on it this morning and its actually very nice to ride. Got a matching fluo pink zefal to go with it. :D

Unfortunately it will probably find its way into the for sale section. :roll:

Attachments

• sar_blizJPG.JPG
    sar_blizJPG.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 489
Antstark":20ksrfxf said:
Picked up this 1988 Blizzard locally yesterday .....to be honest I only bought it as I needed the front cantis for my 88 Cannondale project. Had a quick scoot around the block on it this morning and its actually very nice to ride. Got a matching fluo pink zefal to go with it. :D

Ah at last its outed. Was a bargain that, shame he wouldnt post.

Are there any more details on it? Not seen another one. Can you take more photos?

Yeah I was hoping it would go under the radar until I managed to get to see it ... :D There was actually another on ebay recently that went for £10!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saracen-Blizz ... 7675.l2557

It also appears there isn't an 1988 catalogue..doesn't show up in the 87 or 89 ones either. Frame looks to be the same as the Tuff Trax....but with a better spec groupset. Happy to take a few more piccys over the weekend. :D

coomber":3f6mmlap said:
Antstark":3f6mmlap said:

Ah at last its outed. Was a bargain that, shame he wouldnt post.

Are there any more details on it? Not seen another one. Can you take more photos?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've just picked up a 1988 saracen as well, like you say, no catalogue which is a real shame.

Looking forward to more pictures

I've not seen or was aware of the Blizzard before now.
Definitely agree that it is most likely a 1988 model, as the Blizzard doesn't appear in any of the other catalogues.

It could potentially be a Halfords exclusive model like the Eiger. An 87 or 88 Tufftrax frame sold under a different coloured alias perhaps.

It's a shame all these old Saracens are so big.

I like it. My dad probably still thinks I'll grow into that one...

dw_uk2000":3evp6dbb said:
dw_uk2000":3evp6dbb said:
Went for a nice drive today to pick up another 90's saracen, to go with my Traverse.

Thanks to Rod for 1st dibs.

Picked up Saracen #3 today, was watching it as soon as it was listed and as the seller had no BIN had to wait a week before I knew it was mine.

170 mile round trip and a little clean later here she is (with a borrowed seat post and saddle until a suitable replacement is sort).

wow!that looks stunning!
it looks like its never been ridden.no rim wear at all

Ah ha! so the mystery of the Blizzard is now solved....it was playing on my mind all night until I remembered where I had seen it.....MBUK vol1 no1 (198:cool:.....there is a test on it.

A quick look at some adverts in the same mag reveals it was a model up from the Tufftrax, one down from the Trekker. It retailed for £360 and looking at the test article it looks like mine is pretty original apart from the tyres and saddle....even down to the mech bash guard. Apparently it also came in 17 1/2" with 24" wheels

You are right about the size Paul.....but remember bikes were much bigger back then (a bit like Wagon Wheels :D ). I am 6ft 2 and the one i picked up is a tad small. I will get some photos up later. :D

edit.......More pics added :D

drystonepaul":tm8oey1c said:
I've not seen or was aware of the Blizzard before now.
Definitely agree that it is most likely a 1988 model, as the Blizzard doesn't appear in any of the other catalogues.

It could potentially be a Halfords exclusive model like the Eiger. An 87 or 88 Tufftrax frame sold under a different coloured alias perhaps.

It's a shame all these old Saracens are so big.

I like it. My dad probably still thinks I'll grow into that one...

Attachments

• bliz_ad.JPG
    bliz_ad.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 343
  • bliz_close.JPG
    bliz_close.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 343
  • blizsun.JPG
    blizsun.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 343
I know it's not completely retro but I've had since new in about 97. It was originally green and is a Kili Team. Rides like new and just can't let it go.

Attachments

• retrobike1 024.JPG
    retrobike1 024.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 332
  • retrobike1 023.JPG
    retrobike1 023.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 332
  • retrobike1 022.JPG
    retrobike1 022.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 332
Antstark":h30vf93c said:
Ah ha! so the mystery of the Blizzard is now solved....it was playing on my mind all night until I remembered where I had seen it.....MBUK vol1 no1 (198:cool:.....there is a test on it.
Now that is some very useful information, and that catalogue scan is the best evidence yet for the 1988 Saracen model range.
Until now that's been one of the missing links in information about early Saracens.

It would be great to see some scans of that Blizzard test.

We really need more info on early Saracens between 1984 and 1986 too.

Thank you!

Back