The Last and Only Bike...

oldave

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Cleared the garage of EVERYTHING except the one bike and a spare set of wheels for it over last few months. Even one is really more than I can justify - near 3 weeks immobile after eye surgery reduced my cycling health to a max of 7-8 miles gentle rolling.

But the '89 Dawes Escape (heavily altered) might as well stay. Most of it - frame & forks, wheels, C'set - came from here, so thanks all for my last bicycle. I collect my OAP from tomorrow, so I suppose I've had a fair run.

I'd long promised myself an expensive bike as a 65th prezzie. Ironic - I have the money but not the lungs. Moral? DON'T WAIT!

Doubt I'll call in here much from now - keep seeing stuff I'd like but for which I have no use!

Ride safe all.

dave j

7-8 mile trundle is more fun on a really nice bike so why not get one anyway.
There's no law says you must do 50mile cross country runs to justify.

And a nice retro probably wouldn't put up with too much mileage.

Good luck !

You've had a fair run. Why the past tense? You're not in the box yet! You clearly love cycling, able to ride a bike and have the money. I suggest following your own advice: DON'T WAIT! Why not be the coolest OAP in town on a sweet bike? Go for it while you still can! ;)
and... stick around here and post up your new weapon ASAP!

Why not build an electric track racer, then not only will you retain your retro cool but your lungs won't have to suffer either. Most of all good luck fella and my heartfelt sympathies go with you. Old age is such a leveller

Nothing wrong with that Dawes, they were great frames from that era, and yours has a nice build. Brookes b17 on there I think, nice.

8 miles is fine, get out there and ride, that's all it takes.

My old man is in his 70s and I have just sorted him out with a muddy fox. Just wait till you see the pictures of what he's done with it!

Thanks all! The Dawes is actually a nice bike - one of the most comfortable I have had (the reason it stayed while the others, on the face of it "better", left). The parts were carefully chosen - XT c'set, Ritchey Rock Comps, thumb shifter front, 9 speed trigger rear - for weight AND ease of maintenance. The upright position and bars help with the breathing.

It is what all bikes should be - "fit for purpose". It's not light, but then nothing with 'guards, carrier and a Brooks would be. If I came across a similar frame in shape etc but lighter material than Reynolds 500 then all to the good, but in %age terms frame and forks are a small part of the bike plus me. At least I have only <9st of "me" to drag around! Anything more exotic would be a waste in terms of for what I could use it.

I have considered electric assistance, but hope to avoid it for as long as possible. The only real advantage would come from a Brompton - I live at the top of a hill and it is the last 1-2 miles home that really knackers me, so being able to get on a bus when I am really struggling would be good. Brommies are however not easy to convert to LOW gearing - and having had one I think that they are seriously overpriced for the quality.

The MF is very nice - but surely the vertical bar ends are certain wrist breakers in a front ender!

Anyway, for the birthday treat, just done a windy 6.5 (an obvious number!) miles for an espresso.

dave j

xxnick1975":3m8009g7 said:
to this.... :facepalm:

Why do people do that with bar ends? Have they had not quite enough wrist injuries in their life up to that point?

Back