Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

coomber":2i4yawou said:
A 1997 kili is also high on my list. What a collection!

local carbooter sold this for £20!!,but not to me :roll: i saw it only after
bloke who bought it had it for sale at the same carboot a few weeks after,so of course i had to have it,but it cost me a few quid more.
idiot had removed the decals and also the ritchey forcelite bar and stem which i now have refitted
also came with some cool 1996 dmr v12 pedals

its slightly bigger than i would like,but who cares!!

Those wishbones ate so nice. Theres a great review in the archive of these vs the kona kileaua (cant spell)

dw_uk2000":30w29pc1 said:
Went for a nice drive today to pick up another 90's saracen, to go with my Traverse.

Thanks to Rod for 1st dibs.

Picked up Saracen #3 today, was watching it as soon as it was listed and as the seller had no BIN had to wait a week before I knew it was mine.

170 mile round trip and a little clean later here she is (with a borrowed seat post and saddle until a suitable replacement is sort).

^ Nice car too!

Are these old Saracens especially beefy old things? Someone else had a go on my Tufftrax the other day and acted as though it was the ark royal on wheels! Stuck it on the bathroom scales and its about 16kgs (not that I care, I got it exercise not to win the TDF!)

"Are these old Saracens especially beefy old things?"

Vary from model to model obviously - but many bikes from that era are on the hefty side!

The frames are pretty solid, that's why so many are in good condition, but weight in that era was more down to components, groups sets below deore were mostly steel not alloy so that added tons of weight. Fixing up an old Saracen frame with dx or xt parts will make for a very nice bike.

Back