Pace rc36 evo 2 oil change

Paceg60

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi everyone I'm new here and this is my first post, so firstly I'd like to say hello and say what a great forum I have found here, some really cool stuff on here.

I've just got hold of some rc36 evo 2 forks (1999) that are in need of a full service. I have stripped them down but I cannot work out how I get into the oil resovior in the right leg (sitting on the bike). I've searched the net but can't seem to find anything. Also what oil do I use to replace the old with?
Has anyone done this on these forks?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Paceg60":3aosz5qr said:
Hi everyone I'm new here and this is my first post, so firstly I'd like to say hello and say what a great forum I have found here, some really cool stuff on here.

I've just got hold of some rc36 evo 2 forks (1999) that are in need of a full service. I have stripped them down but I cannot work out how I get into the oil resovior in the right leg (sitting on the bike). I've searched the net but can't seem to find anything. Also what oil do I use to replace the old with?
Has anyone done this on these forks?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the forum :D

My advice would be to send the forks to Tim at Fork English (he's a member on this forum and his username is justbackdated - click here to visit his profile).

Tim previously worked as a Pace Engineer, so what he doesn't know about Pace forks isn't worth knowing! He will be able to give the forks a professional strip down and service for you, and replace any broken/worn parts in the process which would be very difficult to get hold of otherwise. He's well worth the extra cost over doing it yourself and he'll send you back a pair of forks which are as good if not better than they were when they were new :cool:

I've used Tim myself when I had to get a set of RC40s serviced. They came back like a completely new fork so I can't recommend him enough - check his feedback too :)

Thanks for the reply mate :D
I've come across justbackdated quite a few times while searching the net for info on the fork, everyone who has used him seem to have very positive comments.
However I really wanted to try and strip, service and rebuild the forks myself, it's something I've always wanted to do and I thought why not? Might as well give it a go? So does anyone have any ideas? Or maybe a scanned or PDF manual?
Thanks again. :D

well ive been in the shed and had another go at the forks after reading the above link.
I managed to undo the adjuster at the top of the fork legs and pull out the damping rod so far.
It gets to a certain point and then stops.
There is a small opening at the bottom of the damping rod where if I pump the lower fork rod with the nylon bush oil will seep out, but I still don't know how I get into the main oil reservoir to change the oil.
Any help on this would be really appreciated as I have all the other components of the fork all cleaned up and ready to re grease and refit as soon as ive changed the oil.
Here is some pics of what stage im at to give an idea of what I mean.
Thanks in advance
Dale

Thanks mate, yeah I stumbled across this too while searching for an answer, id doesn't really show me anything but it is well handy for part numbers if I need to order new bits. spent ages searching the net now but cant find any answers.
cheers for the link tho mate

You need to remove the circlip on top of that leg.
If you pull the adjustment knob out you probably need to use loc-tite or tin foil to hold it back in.
They are pretty easy to do. Tims sells all the o-rings etc. I think I just bought mine in packs from eBay! Replace the circlip things while your at it. The only hard (!) bit is you need a long torx(?) tool to remove the damper valve while holding the other end of the rod with mole grips or similar!

Back