Colnago Master Olympic build thread, and request for advice

Re: Colnago Master Olympic build thread, and request for adv

It all depends really on your plans and fitness for the bike with gears and ratios?

Dura ace is the top level with ultegra behind it but REALLY a Colnago would be better suited to Campag?

Go on name and shame the forum members that have contacted you via PM already on the scrounge for the frames and parts?!? :LOL: :LOL:

That is some hoard you have there! The Austro Daimler looks interesting as does that track frame. Shame the Olmo is in the condition it is as those are quality also. The older Colnago's have a lot of potential.

The Dura-Ace components are top of the range, with Ultegra one below in Shimano's pecking order. Regal saddles are also top quality. Cinelli would be my personal choice for the choice of stem & bars. Wheels that take a Shimano cassette/freewheel should be the factor that dictates the wheels. 27T shouldn't be an issue.

One thing that does spring to mind though - the Dura-Ace (7700) you've shown in the pictures should be 9-speed and therefore downtube shifters won't cover all the gears, if my brain is working correctly 8 speed is the most you'll get out of them. Needs brake/shifters for 9 speed.

You can cross-reference some of the parts you've got here...http://velobase.com/ won't have them all but will give you an idea.
Hope this helps...

There are 9 speed dura ace DT shifters. There's even a set pictured in this thread

daj":2eevlv5d said:
Go on name and shame the forum members that have contacted you via PM already on the scrounge for the frames and parts?!? :LOL: :LOL:

ha ha :LOL: NO 'scroungers' yet.

The first thing is to get the best possible single bike built from what is there, which is why I am asking for advice

After that, his close cycling friends will take what they will use (not just store in a shed or sell).

Then, we will decide what to do with the rest in a few weeks time. I'm keen that the bikes are restored/ built/ ridden/ treasured. I gather that those offering advice on here are enthusiasts, so if there is interest in specific models I'll let the MIL know before anything is given away or auctioned on ebay.

cce":r2zn9lts said:
There are 9 speed dura ace DT shifters. There's even a set pictured in this thread

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but are those the shifters pictured on the yellow frame, or brand new in the box?

daj":17qtgo0s said:
It all depends really on your plans and fitness for the bike with gears and ratios?

My cardio and overall fitness is pretty good (Tough Mudder last month, sub 50min 10k, etc). We did the Bealach Na Ba loop in April, and were thwarted by blizzard conditions and 2 inches of snow 500 yards short of the top. We will be back!
As for cycling specific fitness, I need some more miles on my legs right now, but that will come with the arrival of a new bike :)

daj":17qtgo0s said:
Dura ace is the top level with ultegra behind it but REALLY a Colnago would be better suited to Campag?

I noticed the older Colnago is fitted with Campag kit, and there is a lot of Campagnolo spare parts.

The reason I've suggested Dura-Ace for the build, is
1, because that's what's on the bike already, and
2, because an earlier post suggested that was what was fitted to the actual Team Rabobank bikes.

kiwifraser":38tfdmef said:
cce":38tfdmef said:

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but are those the shifters pictured on the yellow frame, or brand new in the box?

These

20130912_151949_zps2c3ea1b6.jpg

The vast majority of the wheels I have taken pics of have Shimano cassettes/hubs. From the photos, are there any top quality or period appropriate selections I should use.

I'm going to get what I can put together tomorrow :)

Back