Things to do in Hong Kong for a day...

Neil":3giua2lq said:
Rampage":3giua2lq said:
Ocean Park is a good day out.
The Buddhist Temple near Hollywood Plaza is very peaceful and the gardens and large fish are amazing.
If you have longer then you can get a ferry to Macau which is very different to China.

There's a formula 1 / grand prix / motorsport musuem in Macau, too.

I didn't know that, but I'm not the biggest F1 fan anyway.
We only went to Macau to see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znRgofaj ... ata_player

Very impressive, but not cheap. We had to pay £50 for a seat for our 1 year old, the seat was about 50 meters away from us so he couldn't sit there anyway! He slept through 90% of it.
We stayed in Macau overnight, it's very nice. I will return there one day.
We were in HK for 2 weeks but most of the time I think was shopping and visiting relatives as I don't remember doing much!
There's a Chinese Sturgeon exhibition at Ocean Park if that's your sort of thing. Also Goldfish road is very different, although not one for the animal activists.

my band had a residency in shenzhen in 2000, loved it!! the food was great (never seen any of it over here....and they have never heard of "sweet n sour" ha ha!!)
didn't like the milk, or the kittens in the food market...but i think i still tried one!
everything else was great, but i still wouldn't want to ride up those mountains to the north in the summer!!

zetecmk2":ybgl1cph said:
my band had a residency in shenzhen in 2000, loved it!! the food was great (never seen any of it over here....and they have never heard of "sweet n sour" ha ha!!)

I struggled with the true native food - least in China - but when I was in China I spent some time with people who lived there (one native, one ex-pat).

For the uninitiated, true Chinese food isn't as westernised as what we get over here. If they cook chicken, they cook all of it. So hack it up with a cleaver, and when you get your chicken dish, you shouldn't be surprised to get a foot in it. Pig lung soup anybody? Snake surprise?

Some of it is the idea of some things, not necessarily the taste, but what's presented in western culture about Chinese food - in some ways, just like Indian food - is a western, softening of it, to appease to our tastes.

Oh and the other thing, in China, be wary about the rice that you're served with, unless you are truly sure of it's provenance.

And how's this for a mixed metaphor - whilst I was in China (Gz) we went out for an Indian meal.

the chicken's foot in the stock becomes normal after the 3rd time....but the steamed fish with green chilli's....best meal to this day!!! bit sad looking at his sad little face swimming past and saying "that one"....but he tasted great every time!

shenzhen_zps98b39271.jpg

did this every night for 3 months! love the culture of that area!

the food here has been fine - in Hong Kong, i think they have learned what westerners go for and pretty much push alot more of it nowadays.
in China, i still ate well, nothing massivley adventurous (nothing with feet or snake in) but had some jelly fish, shark fin soup, sea snail.
best i've had yet though is the dim sum lunch i just had - every dish i had was great.

the fish out here is very good, plenty of different servings for pork - no lungs though. maybe next time....
i've only got a little bit of time to get some shopping for the kids and the mrs before i head off.
no Peak action.
got ourselves up to the top of a roof garden bar last night - best move we've done yet, proper view of Honk Kong which im glad i did (bar Wooloomooloo) has a steak house too, but pretty pricey and i was in the mood for pizza - and there was a good pizza joint round the corner. 16" pizza for 4quid. velly niiiice :)
i'd definitely go back to china - with a chinese guide though, too many times i got stuck with the language barrier. the handiest thing i did was to take a leaflet from the hotel i was staying at that had a chinese address on it, incase i headed out on my own and got lost. very handy to just point at the chinese address on it if the driver no speaka the english :)

twain":3oc2wg5u said:
the food here has been fine - in Hong Kong, i think they have learned what westerners go for and pretty much push alot more of it nowadays.
in China, i still ate well, nothing massivley adventurous (nothing with feet or snake in) but had some jelly fish, shark fin soup, sea snail.
best i've had yet though is the dim sum lunch i just had - every dish i had was great.

the fish out here is very good, plenty of different servings for pork - no lungs though. maybe next time....
i've only got a little bit of time to get some shopping for the kids and the mrs before i head off.
no Peak action.
got ourselves up to the top of a roof garden bar last night - best move we've done yet, proper view of Honk Kong which im glad i did (bar Wooloomooloo) has a steak house too, but pretty pricey and i was in the mood for pizza - and there was a good pizza joint round the corner. 16" pizza for 4quid. velly niiiice :)
i'd definitely go back to china - with a chinese guide though, too many times i got stuck with the language barrier. the handiest thing i did was to take a leaflet from the hotel i was staying at that had a chinese address on it, incase i headed out on my own and got lost. very handy to just point at the chinese address on it if the driver no speaka the english :)

I found that, too - Hong Kong mostly very tourist-y, and largely geared up to dealing with the gwei lo. China, seems that much more of an adventure, because whilst Hong Kong seems almost partly dedicated to appealing to western people, China is still China. And as you say - taxi drivers are a good example.

Hong Kong is like going on an slightly exotic tourist holiday and exploring - sure, there are still lots of bits that are more native and like truly peering into yesteryear, but all the same. China seemed more of a true adventure, and less of the feel of a country that is that wowed by western influence. Don't get me wrong, you'll still see McDonalds, Costa coffee, Pizza Hut, Starbucks, and curiously 7-11s in streets in major Chinese cities, but that is probably as much if not more for the locals, than it is for tourists.

Latest posts

Back