Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi there folks ,
Having volunteered myself for getting a bike back on its' rubber after 16 years in a shed , I've come to a halt with a chainset/bottom bracket/front changer problem :facepalm: I have replaced the (knackered) original b/b ,a 73x118 job , and sourced a cheap Shimano chainset to put on it . The problem I now have is that the front mech doesn't have enough throw to reach the big ring . Both the mech and shifter are original and the adjustment screws on the mech are not restricting it . Wish the bike had the original c/set on but it had been nicked :roll: Any help would be gratefully received , thanks .
Mike :(

I had the same problem recently I solved it by getting a newer style front mech (I got a dual pull deore one) which has a greater range than the older style mechs and meant I could get onto the top ring.
or you could fit a narrower bb?
I know which is easiest!

If you let me know what cranks you have, I may have a bb you can have for postage. Can't promise I have what you need, but if I do......

Thanks all for your help ;)
the cranks are Acera m290s cheap I know but it all is :roll: Front mech is knackered really but if I replace that too , maybe the even cheaper shifter/brake lever combos wont work too well either . Then we will need better shifters and brake levers too . :facepalm: It would be an ongoing headache for me on a bike that only has a reasonable frame ,forks and front wheel . Not worth the bother . Just trying to get it rolling. Tried my 110mm road bike b/b in it and it was still too long . Put the rubbish saracen one back on that was on it . seemed to work so I've left it like that . Thanks for advice fellow R/Bers

Back