Bike ID

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone know what this is?

$(KGrHqV,!qEFItjiMK7yBSMJzZ4GcQ~~48_80.JPG

The distinctive frame design caught my eye, but I couldn't read the name on the chainring.

I assume it's probably not worth having, since it's being sold for next to nothing, but I'm tempted anyway.

keithglos":2hy70beh said:
Runwell did a few like ths, early post war, others may have also.

Now you've said that I can make out the 'Runwell' on the chainring.

Now that's a brand I'd forgotten all about!

Paul, you've got better sight than me, not much in Runwell history to interest us racers.
They had local wholesale depots with utility bikes and components to the retail trade, a bit like a small Brown brothers. Similar to Vindec, the bikes were mostly sold to shops who were not cycle retailers.
No one else on here old enough to remember this stuff.

I remember Brown Brothers / Vindec (my boss tried to avoid them because they were so expensive to buy from) but Runwell doesn't ring a bell ......

Shaun

Shaun, they had gone before your time, about 1959.
Vindec again were mostly sold to non cycle trade people. But had to bear the markup for Brown bros. before the retail markup, and purchase tax.
You can find a Brown Bros 1952 catalogue on http://www.oldroads.com, about 250 pages, with all the trade prices.
Keith

Hi Keith

Never knew that oldroads site existed :) I was born in 1959 :D

The "Factors" like brown Brothers were a double edged sword..........they could normally get the stuff much more quickly than the manufacturer (tyres for example) but you paid through the nose.

I still wonder why they were called "factors".....

Shaun

Cool, I'm glad I asked now as I'm finding this really intriguing. I was going to look at the bike last night, but it was a bit out of my way.

Midlife":kil8mdyc said:
Never knew that oldroads site existed :) I was born in 1959 :D

Whippersnapper! They know nowt these young 'uns today.

Don't know they're born what with all these disraeli gears and everything............................. :roll:

Back