Grand Designs this week (11/9)

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
My green roof is (well might be!) going to be on it!!!

It should make for an interesting watch as the poor house owners had the builder go bust on them half way through...

Channel 4 Wednesday 9pm

Fank Yoo!

We recently supplied a full load of our retaining wall blocks to Kevin McCloud for his own place in Frome.

We also had our blocks used in 'Double your house for half the money'..... apparently. My boss phoned me up and asked if I had seen the programme, seen it? I've never heard of it! Anyway, we are getting a DVD copy from the production company, so I'll be able to watch it later... woo hoo. :facepalm:

Still, if it helps sell some more stuff. :mrgreen:

In my side of the business, there are still a fair few groundworkers and civil engineers going bust, mainly because the big guns are so (deliberately) slow at paying their bills. :evil:

They hadn't finished by the time we left site, in fact there are a few things they lashed up for the TV that we are going back to sort out! I wonder if they'll mention the collection of howling f*&% ups the architect made for example.... It's a shame the builder went bust leaving them short of £50k ish there were some really nice things we would have been involved in there, like a living wall and some wildflower planting as well.

NeilM":1jpqtiyl said:
.... the big guns are so (deliberately) slow at paying their bills. :evil:

Yep!
In our company (signage) we specifically dont deal with any of the big construction contractors for this exact reason

G

unkleGsif":bcprowih said:
NeilM":bcprowih said:
.... the big guns are so (deliberately) slow at paying their bills. :evil:

Yep!
In our company (signage) we specifically dont deal with any of the big construction contractors for this exact reason

G

I saw recently that a major glazing sub contractor had decided to no longer do business with a big gun, despite the fact they were doing £5m turnover a year with them. The MD of the glazing firm said he was making no profit and the client was taking too long to pay. The clients comment (from a financial director) was that they were disappointed with losing a good sub contractor, and having finished their last job in August (last year) that they (the big gun) had settled the account in November. :shock: And he did not seem to think this was a problem. :facepalm:

We are fortunate, as most of our work goes through subbies, but there are one or two names that make my boss go :facepalm:

I find that stopping work or not supplying at a critical time seems to make them want to pay in a hurry.

Back