1990 Scott Pro Racing , finished (almost) pg12

Re: Nigel the work bike. Serotta ?

Mr Universe":1454k0fz said:
Rampage , Magnet is the best way to work out if it is steel or titanium.
The M95x cassette has some of the cogs made from titanium, not all of them.

Thanks rampage, managed to find some information about the M950/1/2 series cassettes , from the information gathered, the M950 series was first launched in 1996 , so that dates the cassette to be around 96-up to as early as 2002 if it is a M953 ?

The rear mech is a RD-M739 Xt unit so that's around 1995 , the cranks FC-M900 places them 92-95. so quite a mix of bits and pieces really.

Have a look through the 1990 Kona catalog in the archive, the Brodie's in there are quite similar, but not really close enough!
Am I right in thinking that V brakes were on most bikes after 95/96 ? is so that would date the frame before this as it has a cantilever brake guide on ?

Trying to find out the years columbus max or tubes were being produced and what other makers produced a frame in this tubing ?

raidan73 , I understand what you mean, all the t max frames I've seen, the chainstay seems to 'piece' the top tube :? also raidan you said , "No apparent mounts for racks etc would suggest it was designed for a purpose though.' you thinking something like a show bike , like they used to show at durango/bike shows and the like ? or custom built perhaps/ one off ?

I think M952/3 were 9 speed. Not 100% though.
Yes it's before 1996, I think very early nineties / late eighties, possibly there's a clue in the serial number!

I don't think it's a Kona now as they all (except the 1990 Brodie titanium) had the seatbolt on the front of the tube.

I also don't think it needs to be made from Colombus tubing, it's very similar to my 1990 Explosif with the oval tubes and that was Tange Concept.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=237077

I'm speaking fairly generally but most bikes were fitted with rack mounts right up through most of the mainstream manufacturers range. The main exceptions were bikes specifically aimed at racers or of course custom builds.

I agree with Rampage that it isn't necessarily Max OR. Columbus did another ovalised tubeset IIRC plus offerings from Tange and probably others. I don't remember many of the big players using such tubes but I might be wrong. I do remember plenty of others who did though and even more through googling. Kona, Overbury's, Cinelli, Taramac, Roberts, Santana, Caygill, Pinarello and plenty more I'm sure.

I'm waiting for someone with better knowledge to jump in and help out here as most of my info is speculation more than anything else :oops:

Wow...never before has a frame thrown up so many theories :shock:

I'm 95% certain Nigel is a 1991 Scott Pro Racing...with very little original parts remaining.

Columbus Max - check
Canti noodle - check
Reinforced seat tube - check
Ritchey dropouts - check

They're a rare beast, so good score! Below is the best image I could find that I could steal, see what you think! The dropouts look different here, probably as it's a catalogue/pre production frame, but I've seen other images of the frame with the ritchey versions :)

Attachments

• pro racing.jpg
    pro racing.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 830

Woohoo, someone to put us out of our misery :D I was right about the racing part though :LOL:

raidan73":miv1xgbv said:
Woohoo, someone to put us out of our misery :D I was right about the racing part though :LOL:

No worries..I was thinking Scott but needed to do a little digging. TBH I was being polite when I said 95% certain, I'm actually pretty darned certain ;)

It you search the model online there's a Flickr account showing a very nice version with the dropouts and the same front fork. I'm thinking the SE cantis may have been original too (kinda makes sense). This would be sooo cool repainted as original with M735 XT refitted :cool:

if its a serotta great if it isnt no worry still a great looking bike get her cleaned up feller,,,

raidan73":3ex2cjj1 said:
Is the frame number definitely BS8943004P? Only reason I ask is that I believe the format is maybe one where the BS indicates who made it with 89 being the year and 43 (?) the month. the 004P would maybe be just a production code. Just speculating really!
The 43 could be the size- 43cm or 17"...

I'll second the Scott pro racing, my favourite bike :D

Just wait until the Scott expert calls by, don't discount the bike they are awesome IMO

Where is skloza ?

:) , Fantastic job mynchiboy , Obviously go to the top of the class :)

Never thought at looking at 'scott' bikes,

Wow. certainly was the word, thought it would be an easy frame to i.d , Are these super rare then ? how many were made ?

I've never seen tubing like this on any other cycle until I started researching, it's lovely how the shapes change along the length of the tubing and the welding is really nice, almost invisible , the paint finish is different to the green and white one pictured, would nigel possibly be a pre production model/sample then ? , or is it likely the original/following owner/s had it repainted ?

The paint looks to have been a nice finish at one time, it still has a sparkle to the black almost like a pearl finish :)

Were these frames originally made by welders at scott or were they shipped out of house and made in some sweatshop ? or maybe some custom builder ? either way its really nicely made , and think , even though I was not looking for another bike , it'll make a good stable mate for moo moo. :)

It's looking like most , if not all the original components are sadly gone , mynchiboy do you know the original component list ?

A big thank you to everyone who has put the time and effort into researching this for me :) , I'd spent hours , and I mean hours trying to establish what I'd bought so thank you very much.

Re: Nigel the 1991 Scott Pro Racing, rescued work bike

Here you go :D

raw8.jpg

Back