Complete Zieleman Type Special £450

vonhoolio":3p78oxu7 said:
hi
what year would that bike be mate?

I see the bike is already sold, but I take the freedom to answer this question. The question is not easy to answer.

- each Zieleman is a one off and completely unique
- also the late examples (early 90s) are built in a traditional way
- the component spec doesn't help determining the year

On the later: I did collect this bike half decade ago. It belonged to a circa 40 year old man. Searching for his place in a Vinex-style suburb I was lost. I gave him a call and somewhat later he guided me with his Peugeot 306 convertible to his home. There he told me the story on this Zieleman. Both frame and parts belonged to his uncle originally. His uncle had the habbit of having to buy new every year. 'Old' parts were given to his nephew, the guy I got the bike from. That happened several times. The Zieleman component spec changed accordingly. That resulted in an interesting and classy composition of top quality parts for this frame: Super Record, Nuovo Record, Dura-Ace EX, Superbe... etc. I am pretty sure the frame is younger than many of the parts. Btw a blend of bits is not uncommon for a Dutch racing bike. Dutch tend to mix and match, pragmatism is the way. The guy was a bit sad seeing the bike going, but he badly needed the money. He had already bought a shiny bling trim/hybrid bike. He still had to pay for it he told me :roll:

the Zieleman looks very nice, could you give me a frame number or do you know the age of the frame. I don't think the components are period, is that correct? Thanks frank

Back