Braking technique - Right or Wrong?

I have just bought a set of maguras from a Dutch member on here.
Having got out at the weekend I did not notice the lever sides are set up back to front.
This proves interesting when going downhill over bumps and locking the front.
It was like learning to ride again.
Took to using one finger for the front brake and 2 for the back. This worked nice and once I have swapped them to the correct "UK" way round probably try it again.

I couldn't tell you how I brake. I just do it based on instinct and how it feels.

Unless I'm on my road bike downhill in wet conditions with sidepulls and then it's mainly based on terror.

running my mtb on loose gravel an mud alot recently, i need to learn to trust using the front as ive used the rear 90% of the time, my last mtb was a jump bike with only a rear brake so i just carnt get my head round fronts on loose stuff, ive been using it on road more an mor.

i think your best just trying difrent things on difrent surfaces see what works for you, so hard to tell whats best even on the same trails as they change every corner, one could be looser than the next ect

trail_head":3qeg46hj said:
First; As a professional trail builder I beg you all to refrain from skidding your back wheel, It damages trails.

I hear you, as a fellow trail builder (only weekends and I don't get paid :( ) people skidding the rear brakes is one of my biggest hates, but then I'd rather spend my time building new trails than repairing unnecessary damage.

Edit: Actually I'd rather spend my time riding new trails but for that to happen someone has to build them first.

I think suspension plays a big part in how up brake, I know when I'm riding DH it's mainly front braking as the rear brake tends to make the back end cut lose. Obviously on a rigid bike where you down have umpteen inches of plush suspenion to assist with weigh transfer and 2.5" super tacky tires gripping to the trail like s**t a blanket you might need to rebalance the braking to stop the front locking up, tucking in, sliding and ultimate the rider dismounting at speed.

Must say having recently got a xt v braked FS bike it's much easier to grab a handful either end on it and control either end. Far more finesse required on the canti/U steel rigid. Mostly front with a bit of U.

I tend to pull them both on and then vary the pressure individually according to the terain, weight shift etc. I will say though that when I shift my weight right back it takes alot to get the rear to lock up in dry conditions, on and off road, with cable brakes. My rear braking surfaces always wear out quicker than the fronts though.

Rob H":3a5o3bje said:
trail_head":3a5o3bje said:
First; As a professional trail builder I beg you all to refrain from skidding your back wheel, It damages trails.

I hear you, as a fellow trail builder (only weekends and I don't get paid :( ) people skidding the rear brakes is one of my biggest hates.

Don't blame them, blame Avid!!! :LOL:

Tazio":3remnmur said:
I couldn't tell you how I brake. I just do it based on instinct and how it feels.

Unless I'm on my road bike downhill in wet conditions with sidepulls and then it's mainly based on terror.

I agree!
instinct rules on my ss cross bike.. when its wet and muddy my cantis are 80% less effective so just ride it out :LOL:

Back