P.T. Stallard Montlhery

American Friend":3s22dfr1 said:
Nice, those Longstaffs. How do you like the moustache bars on the blue one?

Bars long gone on that - blue one was custom built for my wife in '92. She died 3 years before George. So it's too small for me - but I keep and will continue to make it fit cos I miss them both. It's currently upside down in the spare bedroom awaiting inspiration on how to get bars stretched and high enough without it looking like an embarrassment :roll:

Moustache bars on '82 Raleigh record Ace are SO comfortable with subtle but very pleasurable riding positions. Haven't updated pics yet - now has all black tyres and lighter rims HERE

Re: P.T. Stallard Monthlery

American Friend":1lii1ke1 said:
If I'm not mistaken, those "aggressive" lugs you're on about are the old Nervex. Not so uncommon back in their day. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I quite like them. :)

Ekla, as suggested by Jezrant over on that other forum, seem to be the best bet so far. Certainly the fork crown is looking like an Ekla D and the seat tube/stay cluster suggest Ekla too

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... nents.html

If this is 1948 the original gears would probaly been osgear super champion with a long tension arm and the tension adjuster on the down tube gear lever.

The previous owner is a member of the VCC and bought the frame and forks from another member but never got around to doing anything with it - so it came up on Ebay through his chum who had a fleabay account.

Will have to take a trip over to Wolverhampton City Council records office and look the frame number up. Wondering which Accles & Pollock tubing set - and whether there would have been any of their stickers on it?

Thinking of a re-enamel - Lloyds have transfers - including the BLRC roundel that is on the seat tube

Re: P.T. Stallard Monthlery

deliquium":alyfxqux said:
Excel":alyfxqux said:
Percy Stallard's shop was well known for the quality of its frames and he's generally accepted as the founder of modern day road racing in the UK, what you have here is part of British cycling heritage and more on his involvement can be found on:
<< http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/stallard.html >>
also if you can get hold of a copy of the DVD "Up The League" there's more on his contribution....

Thanks Excel. I'm very fortunate to have custody of this frame and its connections. Also he enjoyed hillwalking here in Snowdonia after his retirement it seems. The condition of this frame seems rather amazing given its age :D

Thanks for sharing. I did once visit Percy's shop on Broad Street* in Wolverhampton city centre about 25 or so years ago, probably not that long before it closed actually, but back then I didn't really appreciate the importance in cycling terms of the old bloke that served Dad!

David

*Sadly, as with seemingly most of the shops on Broad Street these days, I suspect it's now either some sort of takeaway or a shop of the "adult" variety (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Latest posts

Back