1990 Scott Pro Racing , finished (almost) pg12

Re: Nigel the work bike. Serotta ?

The early Explosifs did have a reinforced seat tube but the top of the tube was cut square. Early Brodies also had the reinforced seat tube but it ain't one of them. Other than that, I have nothing helpful to add but stand by it being a nice frame :D

No apparent mounts for racks etc would suggest it was designed for a purpose though.

XTR M95x titanium ? cassette I take it that's made of titanium? , would this be cica 1990-92 , be nice to try and at least establish the year of production of the components, might lead onto the correct production year for the frame and fork ?

The forks/ handlebars and stem I think may also be made out of titanium , think I need to find a magnet, from what I've read on the net, Ti has very little magnetic properties so should not attract, is this the correct/only way of telling ?

The frame is certainly well made, rides nice from what I can tell ,I suppose I'd like to find out what make it is, at least to re sticker it.

Think the plan is to strip the frame/clean the parts up, then see what we're looking at :)

Time to get the tools out :)

Is the frame number definitely BS8943004P? Only reason I ask is that I believe the format is maybe one where the BS indicates who made it with 89 being the year and 43 (?) the month. the 004P would maybe be just a production code. Just speculating really!

raidan73 thanks for the input, I'll do a double check , when I have cleaned it up a little more, but that's what I could make out yesterday ? ,

I also sent out an email today to serotta, see if they can turn up anything in there records :)

Magnet is the best way to work out if it is steel or titanium.
The M95x cassette has some of the cogs made from titanium, not all of them.

Looking at your close up of where the seatstays meet the seat tube it doesn't look like any of the t max's I've seen whilst searching. On the Serotta's the seatstays seem to tuck in under where the top tube meets the seat tube if you know what I mean?

I thought T-Maxes had straight top tubes, and the chainstays were much more ovalised than that? Looks great though, whatever it is!

Rampage , Magnet is the best way to work out if it is steel or titanium.
The M95x cassette has some of the cogs made from titanium, not all of them.

Thanks rampage, managed to find some information about the M950/1/2 series cassettes , from the information gathered, the M950 series was first launched in 1996 , so that dates the cassette to be around 96-up to as early as 2002 if it is a M953 ?

The rear mech is a RD-M739 Xt unit so that's around 1995 , the cranks FC-M900 places them 92-95. so quite a mix of bits and pieces really.

Am I right in thinking that V brakes were on most bikes after 95/96 ? is so that would date the frame before this as it has a cantilever brake guide on ?

Trying to find out the years columbus max or tubes were being produced and what other makers produced a frame in this tubing ?

raidan73 , I understand what you mean, all the t max frames I've seen, the chainstay seems to 'piece' the top tube :? also raidan you said , "No apparent mounts for racks etc would suggest it was designed for a purpose though.' you thinking something like a show bike , like they used to show at durango/bike shows and the like ? or custom built perhaps/ one off ?

I'm going out on a limb and say that i don't think it's a Serotta T-Max. The rear brake cable routing has a different design from a T-Max, also the seat tube doesn't extend above the top tube like yours. Lastly the method of joining the stays to the dropouts is clearly different. I could be wrong but that is just my initial impression.

This could actually be a good thing, this tube set wasn't used by many manufacturers so tracking down the maker might not be that difficult, clearly it is a very nice frame!

Oops, late to the "not a Serotta" party.

Anyway I think half of the fun will be researching this frame. There couldn't have been many builders using this tubeset.

Just did a quick search for this tube set. Columbus released the tubing in 1989, so your serial could be referring to that date?

Latest posts

Back