1980´s Olmo Gentleman - La Biciclissima

migueltreze

Dirt Disciple
I was missing a very cool Bottecchia I owned a few months ago, so I began chasing a oportunitty to get my hands on another Italian classic road bike. A completely stock Olmo Gentleman in Columbus Zeta tubing suddenly crossed my path, and I now ride this beauty every day in my commute. It is in fantastic shape, even the bartape is original. I think is quite unusual for a bike with 30 + years to have been ridden this little, the previous owner told me it has really low mileage. I confirm, as the chain and components are almost new, the bike was very well kept throughout the years. Only thing I´m planning to change are the pedals (not the original ones), the tyres and the saddle (with a period correct one, probably a Turbo).

The bike is fitted with a 3T cockpit, Weinmann levers and brakes, Ofmega cranckset, Ofmega BB and Ofmega headset, Mavic tubular rims on Ofmega hubs and Campagnolo Gran Sport derraileurs end shifters. Everhing working in perfect conditions. Sorry for the crappy pic, wil upload more photos as soon as possible.

GWcZR_zps045f6942.jpg

91_zps8071a776.jpg

9a_zps408b61ff.jpg

Many thanks for the comment.

Can anyone tell me the precise year of production? I think is between 1980 and 1985, but I am not sure...

Well, fitted 2 Continental Giro tubular tyres, a Selle Italia Turbo, new brake pads and covered the original bartape with another one. I´ve spent a few time polishing minor scratches on the frame but is almos perfect now. I have also replaced the Columbus sticker, the old one was a mess.

P1000711_zps6e339a5d.jpg

P1000715_zps8c62fade.jpg

P1000716_zps17a6b8a4.jpg

P1000718_zpsd4630ed1.jpg

P1000713_zps065d8d3c.jpg

As for the year I reckon it's 1980 or earlier as my 1982 Olmo competition has under BB cable routing and those Campagnolo levers look 1980 and I have them on my 1980 Eddy Merckx.

Many thanks for the tip! Reading the info on the 3 catalogs scans found on http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/ I do believe that the bike is almost for sure pre-1984. It also seems that on certain models the customer could request the cable holders on or under bottom bracket shell. Your Olmo Competition has any info unter the BB? Do you have a topic here on the forum with pictures of your bike?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=221798

Here it is. I managed to get some new Mavic OR 10 wheels as the originals were also damaged, but I haven't got arroungd to cleaning it up as that's something for the colder months.

I'll have a look underneath the thing later today.

I have contacted Olmo, they replied saying that the bike is almost certainly from 1979 or 1980. Good enough for me. Meanwhile I fitted a pair of SKS mudguards and a Carradice handlebar bag, to make my commuting more confortable in the winter.

DSC01904_zpsba6a9aeb.jpg

DSC01914_zps7adf27fc.jpg

DSC01910_zps16908dfc.jpg

DSC01909_zpsdb2928d9.jpg

Back