Shimano 8 speed internal gear hub. SOLD

GSB

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a spare nexus 8 hub, that was once fitted to a spare wheelset from a Schwinn Tailwind that I bought for the electric front wheel, but never actually used. I removed the rim and spokes ages ago, and stored the hub as a spare with a view to building a 26" winter/commuter wheelset. It never really happened due to time constraints, though I have regularly entertained building it up with three leading three trailing lacing, just for the hell of it.

However, a recent splurge on a set of Crossmax ST's for bike 1 and a set of blue Crank Bros Cobalts that should go nicely with bike 2, mean that it really is now surplus to requirements. I have so many wheels here now that there really is no need for any more!

The hub is an SG-8R31, which is the upgraded unit with the double roller clutches and improved sealing arrangements from the Alfine 8 speed. The only real difference then is that the Nexus doesn't directly support disc brakes. The Alfine does, but the nexus was designed with V brakes or roller brakes in mind. There is a company in Germany that sells a Cnc machined adapter and bearing set that converts the Nexus to 6 bolt disc though, so all is not lost for those seeking disc braking.

I fitted one of these on my wife's bike some time ago, and they are bombproof gearsets. This would really suit the tired single speeder who wants to maintain the simple clean lines, but fancies a few extra cogs.

The hub comes with the all important cassette joint, that places the gear selector mech out of harms way and inside the chain line (rather than exposed at the end of the axle like sturmey archer and Sram), anti turn washers for horizontal and vertical dropouts, nuts, 18 tooth sprocket, gear cable and the Nexus Revoshifter (twist grip). It is also compatible with the Alfine trigger shifter if you prefer them, although the trigger doesnt offer the instant "8th to 1st in one hit, whether climbing a hill or sitting at traffic lights" shifting that's possible with the twister.

Its basically as brand new, barring a few cosmetic marks left by the original spokes and from having been knocking around in my cupboard for a while. They are nothing serious though.

The 8 speed epicyclic internals offer the flowing gear ratios;

0.53, 0.64, 0.75, 0.85, 1, 1.22, 1.42 and 1.62, approximately similar to the range of gears on a 12-38 tooth cassette.

Asking £80 inc postage for the lot, which I can assure you, is a lot less than I paid for it!

Click for bigger piccies...

Back