And today I did......

clockworkgazz":2s9ndkry said:
buzzed round the local trails at crawfurdland today, on the surly and still loving that big hooped beast, the trails are nigh on perfect and would make a great day out doing a multi lap enduro thing if anyone ever fancies such a thing, cafe on site and pub not to far away to.

not enuff 'o's

:roll:

got a little reservce in the pp account after some recent sales.. been looking at handheld GPS units, decided against a garmin edge type of cycling specific ting, thinking more of device that can be used on the bike and on foot in the hills.

looking at garmin eTrex30 currently, anyone got any opinion or experience of these things?

I've got the eTrex20 (and so has Rumble I believe). I like it, used it up at Aviemore to navigate for the national this year - lost it in a puddle and found it 10 minutes later, still working so pretty robust. Screen is not bad, probably a bit weak in direct sunlight, but you can adjust the brightness to suit.

Maps - I *think* you can get OS maps if you are willing to spend the £, I just downloaded the Open Street Free maps which are pretty good - straightforward enough and there's a webpage that takes you through it.

There's a 'trip' screen where you can define what data fields you want displayed (current speed, average speed, elevation, etc), I typically leave it on that.

Battery life is really good, invest in a set of 4 AA rechargeables and a charger. The stem mounts are pretty reasonable cost wise too, I bought a couple, now use it on the road bike instead of a speedo.

I think the major difference between the 20 and 30 is the 30 has wireless so it can record data from the Garmin cadence and heart monitors, which is pretty nice if you are into that sort of thing.

If we end up getting out at the weekend, you can have a wee shot and see what you think.

Yep, I've also got one and my experience is exactly the same as zigzag's. Nothing mega fancy but a very useful bit of kit for biking and walking.

Test ride of the new hoops on the Scandal last night :) I err'd on the side of caution and bought a slightly heavier rim than my usual weenie addiction would normally allow, I did still loose 277gm compared to the old ones, but the difference is phenomenal. The old set, minding they were damaged, now seem like they were made out of wet cardboard, the new ones are very stiff, this is apparent in the now (comparatively) razor like handling. Very happy with them :) going tubeless and new rubber should see me save a pound hopefully as well.

Had a nice quick road ride this morning, wee blast round a hilly loop, now settling in for a bit of fettling whilst waiting for todays Vuelta stage to come on, should be a corker :)

RobMac":241qcr09 said:
Today I dipped into my paper round money and bought my self a long awaited Leatherman :shock:

gimpdad.jpg

Back