Difficulty installing Viscount Aerospace crank?

Miguello

Dirt Disciple
I remember removing it a few years ago, so it was on the bike at one point. Now I am beginning the reassembly that was halted 3-4 years ago. So now, I cannot get the right crank to press onto the spindle. It goes about about 5-6 mm, and stops. Are you supposed to use the bolt to press the arms on? Makes me worry about possibly stripping the spindle threads, and getting nowhere for my trouble? I've already found and installed the proper sized press in bearings. I found it in an automotive application believe it or not, so possibly a good bit tougher than the originals. The spindle will be the only weak part, as I've heard they are prone to breakage. No sprints will be attempted on this bike, in order to prevent personal injury. I also have a replacement fork to install, to deal with the other issues these bikes have.

So, do I grease/oil the parts and hope for the best, pressing it on with the bolt? Makes me nervous to do so. I believe it to be the straight non tapered type.

Yes, you should use the bolt to press the crank on. But, with a bolt and spindle that old (and that prone to failure :shock: ) i'd possibly be looking at pressing (or gently squeezing) it on with a bearing press/G-Clamp or something.

And i'd give it a good clean inside the crank and the outside of the axle. With that sort of fit, any burrs/dirt/damage will stop it pretty effectively. One of the benefits of the more modern square tapered cranks!

I thought these had convention square tapers on them. My late 70's non-Aerospace one did.

Might be worth dropping Goldie on here a line, because he's got one and I'm pretty sure it's all original and he stripped it right down when he got it.

I assembled a bitza a couple of years ago based on an Aerospace frame. Depending on the age of the machine the spindle taper may be a proprietary one, so neither JIS nor ISO. I replaced mine with a YST threadless BB…but if the cranks that you are using came off then they should go back on again.

There is a lively Viscount thread on the CTC website where you might find some useful advice. http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21010

Give busaste on the CTC Viscount thread a PM. He is a mine of information on all things Viscount and has tried and tested techniques for doing most strip down and rebuild jobs. He changed my bottom bracket bearings while I was drinking a cuppa that Mrs Busaste had kindly made: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21010

And post a picture of your Aerospace! Here's mine:

Actually I traded frames, so the picture I do have is not the actual bike. I bought the bike from someone, who then found another closer to my size, so we traded frames. Both are the white with blue trim. I was pretty sure I used my original spindle, but now I'm not so sure. It was a lifetime ago it seems. All of my components are bone stock, so it should be very nice once done. I have a 74 or 75 Dura Ace group though? Complete with Shimano 333 bar end shifters. It might be a worthy upgrade? I also have a threadless BB I can swap over. LOVE the original cranks though! A tough decision!!

Well, I worried for no reason. Spent a few hours tearing the crank down to the nuts and bolts, polished it to a high shine, and reassembled it. Greased the spindle, threaded in the gorgeous chrome plated spindle bolts, and it pressed on like butter(Perfect) Looks amazing against the white paint!:)

Back