Harry Hall 531 Professional (complete)

Re: Harry Hall 531 Professional

Is there any reason to suppose that the seat post size may be other than 27.2? It's hard to measure as there is some minor damage around the top of the seat tube. I can squeeze a 27.2 post in but it feels tight and I've not forced it. I thought I would put a 27.2 reamer down it...

gavr":2x396ssq said:
Is there any reason to suppose that the seat post size may be other than 27.2? It's hard to measure as there is some minor damage around the top of the seat tube. I can squeeze a 27.2 post in but it feels tight and I've not forced it. I thought I would put a 27.2 reamer down it...

Use a telescopic gauge then to get accurate ID of the tube before you start messing around with a reamer :shock:

Nob":9qqc2so8 said:
Use a telescopic gauge then to get accurate ID of the tube before you start messing around with a reamer :shock:

cheers I'll get one - I think it probably is 27.2 mm given the external diameter is 29 mm with the paint so I'm pretty sure it's not metric sized tubing

OK, some good progress today. I've added a seat tube reamer to my fast growing collection of Cyclus frame tools! Another great tool though, and being very careful it went in easily without any force and I'm sure it didn't take any material off the tube, only paint and rot from an old post that had probably been stuck inside at some point. It also cleaned up the top of the damaged lug that had been dragging on the post where it wasn't round. We now have a nice San Marco Rolls from 1985 on a Campag 27.2 mm seat post and a new Campag seat post binding bolt. Also picked up a modern Cinelli 1A stem and the new Giro d'Italia set of bars. The stem's fantastic like the old one but the bars are modern alloy, which is dull not shiny, but won't really show anyway.

More tomorrow hopefully - I'm waiting for some brake calipers and a bottom bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_3662.jpg
    IMG_3662.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_3661.jpg
    IMG_3661.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_3660.jpg
    IMG_3660.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_3655.jpg
    IMG_3655.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 692

Coming on nicely now - not sure if the modern tyres and bar tape take too much away from the mid-Eighties look I wanted. Just the brakes to sort now really :D

Attachments

• IMG_3666.jpg
    IMG_3666.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_3665.jpg
    IMG_3665.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_3664.jpg
    IMG_3664.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 597

Tyres and bar tape are consumables, bike looks ace :cool:

Are those Sachs Huret Aris downtube levers by any chance? I only ask because I fitted a set to my Basso, but I think I managed to lose some small ball bearings from inside the right hand lever. I got some more 1mm dia, but still cant get the lever to hold bottom gear without slipping. I'm not really sure how the lever parts go together. If you or anyone else can help :roll:

Renais":33xbzdyj said:
Are those Sachs Huret Aris downtube levers by any chance?

Sorry can't help you with that I'm afraid.

This is all around a plain but complete Shimano 600EX 6208 gruppo. I picked up some NOS brake levers with original gum hoods from JF Wilson's - aside why do we not see many of those here, they made beautiful bikes - the rest is low mileage, mid-eighties original, except the newer chain rings. A splash of Campag - Super Record seatpost and Record steel headset. I'm really pleased with the wheels, NOS Mavic MA2 on smooth 6208 hubs, I'm slowly becoming quite confident with the wheel building (next ones will be a disaster now I've said that).

This is getting to the point where it really deserves new paint :roll:

resist new paint, that can be done later if you really feel the need. Original is always best and bikes are for riding, not just for show :)

Back