Claud Butler 1940's bike

ianshingler

Retro Newbie
Hi

I am currently in the process of putting my late father's bike back onto the road. It is built around a Claud Butler frame bought around 1946/47. The chassis number is hard to read but it looks like 062564...the first number looks like a 0 but its hard to see. It is a 27" frame with 26" wheels. The majority of the bike is original with only the tyres, spokes. brake handles(i have one original) and mud flaps.

Question: can the frame be dated from the number?
Question:is it best to leave the original but very well worn paintwork or send it to be resprayed?

There are photos on Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/23634022@N02/

I will post some on here when my partner brings me her low resolution camera

Thanks

Ian

Hi,
looks like a mid/late forties claud ( international club ? ), the serial number will reveal all, if you are correct with the dates, it should start with a '6' or '7', can you revisit the number ? Terry

Very nice :)

It does look likes its reached the point of needing a respray. Its also well deserving of one but you'll be looking around £150 for a quality job. I'd have a good inspection, poke/prod, around the bottom bracket area, any moisture that's gathered within the frame can rot out the tubes.

Hi Ian,
the serial number means it its a June 48, or June 38, so we need other clues, generally pre war headstocks would be clip type, but there were standard steel headsets available. So, its looking post war, the mudguard treatment looks post war ( no tabs ), so 1948 looks valid, and in the 1948 catalogue there's an international club, and that looks a possible, worth doing some internet searches for other examples. I hope this helps, have you cleaned it, and gently polished it yet, to see what it comes up like. Terry

Thanks Terry...It will be 1948 because my Dad said he bought the frame and constructed the bike after the war. Not started cleaning the bike yet but I am going to try and keep it as original as possible and not to re spray it.

The Bike is now a runner but I need to take out the rear wheel spindle and claen the insides(might let the local bike shop do that) I am looking to get an old brown brookes b17 and then hopefully I will be riding it in the spring

Thanks for your help

Ian

Hi Ian, don't forget to return to this stream, with a photo in the spring. Good luck, if you any advice just ask. Terry

Hi,

Could you post some pics up of the frame? I'm currently trying to indentify what I believe to be a 1940's Claud Butler. Was the serial number on a rear dropout?

Chris.

Your link isn't going to the correct page Ian so I have taken the liberty of uploading the images directly to the forum for everyone to see

Attachments

• 16.png
    16.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 789
  • 15.png
    15.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 789
  • 14.png
    14.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 790
  • 13.png
    13.png