Does anyone ride Retro and Modern?

Mark having ridden with you many times have you thought about trying to make your current rides a little more user friendly? I always kind of feel you look in pain laying right over on a long stem churning on massive gears. :?

daj":op59xbpp said:
Mark having ridden with you many times have you thought about trying to make your current rides a little more user friendly? I always kind of feel you look in pain laying right over on a long stem churning on massive gears. :?

That's because I am in pain! Not from position, just trying to keep up. Are you sure you're not confusing me for someone else? It's the gear churning bit that made me ask. My Kowal is almost 15 years old and the big ring is still NOS! My cadence is around 90-100.

I think I will go for a proper fitting. The Kowal was custom built for me but, that me was a lot younger! I have changed the stem on the fixed but may not ride it again. The winter bike I built is by far the shortest I own.

I just need to decide whether I persist with the bikes I have now or get a new one properly fitted.

It might be worth having a word with a Specialized Shop with a fitting service. The one near me opened at the start of the year - Stepehn Roche was there. They have a physiotherapist do an examination before getting near a bike and then they fit it to you. I think is is around £200 for the full fitting but if you are spending £3000+ it would be worthwhile i think.

Richard

Newest bike I have is a 1997 Univega Aplina 500, apart from that its retro all the way... with Carltons ranging from 1958 up to 1975.

Iwasgoodonce":1mkipe4n said:
It could become serious though. The doctor doing the scan said it was classic cyclist damage and that the best thing to do would be to reduce the amount of riding I do. I think it was a winter of turbo rides on an ill fitting fixed that was mainly to blame so I don't want to turn my back on what has always been part of my life.
Well I'm not medially inclined, but did he say it was about the vibrations in particular? I can not imagine the "baseline pressure" on the sitting area and adjacent parts to be much different between bikes, as different as they might be regarding their dampening characteristics. (Think riding on a perfectly smooth surface).

I know it's hard to cut back on an activity you like and have been gotten used to -- been there. But in the end sometimes the good old "better safe than sorry" applies, and there are alternatives that keep you fit without having to sweat indoors a lot over the off season. Hill running in particular.

All the best!

Back