8 speed shifters with 10 speed casette?

bonesjones

Devout Dirtbag
Hi

I have recently acquired a Klein Quantum and have plans to change the wheels to mavics which have a 10speed shimano casette on; my shifters are old shimano 6oo 8 speed, will they work with the casette or do I need to change the shifters or casette accordingly?

many Thanks
Ben

It's my experience that Shimano stuff tends to have some degree of compatibility.

If you want perfect indexed shifting - you will almost certainly need to change. If you are willing to live with some not quite perfect index shifting (ie a few gears you cannot properly locate and/or need to wiggle the lever slightly to reach) - then it may be an option.

If have a friction mode, they may work fine. The throw - or amount of cable used - by shifters tends to be pretty consistent across Shimano or at least there's enough slack to make pairing up of quite old shifters with modern cassettes doable - and that can even work between MTB/road too.

I run 7 speed Deore XT thumbshifters with a 9 speed cassette without problems in friction mode. I can also locate 4-5 gears using index mode reasonably well too. I have a Dura-Ace 9 speed shifter, not yet fitted, which I'm told should work perfectly too. YMMV.

It'll be abysmal.. trust me, 8 spd cassette can be bought for a few pounds (sunrace, perhaps?), don't try to run 8spd shifters on 10spd cassette.. it won't work :)

kbmpi":1sxmznl5 said:
It'll be abysmal.. trust me, 8 spd cassette can be bought for a few pounds (sunrace, perhaps?), don't try to run 8spd shifters on 10spd cassette.. it won't work :)

+1

My old LBS put a 10 speed cassette on my 9 speed cyclocross bike (I think they were just
incompetent, the shop has closed down now). Even that was awful, terrible shifting until I realised what they had done.

Back