SOLD 1982 Mercian custom race bike; 531; Dura Ace; 100 miles

Pedalitis

Old School Hero
The original owner told me he had done "less than 100 miles" on this bike. He spent so much money on the original build that he did not want to get the bike marked or worn, so he kept it indoors. Apart from the bar tape and tyres (which perished), this is a totally original 31 year-old machine that would be a real head-turner at L'Eroica!

No expense was spared on building this fast, lightweight racing bike. The bottle cage was even sent to Mercian to be sprayed to match the frame. I also have the original box for the San Marco saddle.

There are no chips, dings or other damage. Very close inspection will reveal some fading of the paint on the main tubes.

FRAME NUMBER 76882

* Frame 531 reynolds double butted tube - 74deg seat tube
* 74deg front forks with a Vincitore Special sloping crown
* Chain stays are short 16" with chrome one side
* Front and rear Campagnolo chrome vertical drop outs
* Brazed on front changer bracket, top tube cable eyes, chain hanger, shimano gear lever bosses, bottle cage bosses
* Hidden seat clamp bolt
* Lugs are hand cut in a clover leaf design then filled in black and lined in gold leaf
* Cable under bottom bracket guides
* Seat tube painted "barbers pole" and lined with gold leaf
* Gold Edco Pro alloy head set (rare!)
* Cinelli bars and stem
* Mavic 700c G40 rims (no brake rub marks) with polished stainless steel spokes (Eddy Merck ran on these rims in the 1982 Tour de France)
* Shimano Dura Ace EX chain set
* Shimano Dura Ace EX Dyna Drive cranks
* Shimano Dura Ace EX Dyna Drive pedals
* Shimano Dura Ace EX front braze on changer
* Shimano Dura Ace EX rear black mech
* Shimano Dura Ace EX gear levers
* Shimano Dura Ace EX black brakes
* Shimano Dura Ace EX seat post
* Shimano Dura Ace EX quick release small flange hubs
* Shimano Dura Ace EX cassette gear cluster

Seat tube c to c: 56cm, top tube c to c: 56cm

It's difficult to price a bike of this rarity and condition but I am looking for offers in the region of £1200.

I much prefer inspection and collection (near Bath) but will consider delivering personally over a reasonable distance. It's a risk to use a courier for a machine that's been undamaged for over 30 years but I will, as a last resort, package it up for collection by the buyer's courier in Bath during office hours.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 2,613
  • Crank.jpg
    Crank.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 2,613
  • Downtube.jpg
    Downtube.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 2,613
  • Forks.jpg
    Forks.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 2,613
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 2,613
  • RearDerailleur.jpg
    RearDerailleur.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 2,613
  • SeatTube.jpg
    SeatTube.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 2,613
Re: 1982 Mercian custom race bike; 531; Dura Ace; "100 miles

That which Mike says! I'm not a great Mercian fan, but have a bump for a very nice bike.

Stunning!
Just on the small side for me at 6'1"+.....otherwise I'd be tempted though...
good job its not nearer me :D

Wow, that is NICE! Fancy buying a bike like that and not using it!

Just my size and frame spec............................. :)

But sadly, not my price :cry:

At least it does confirm that the Black DA groupset didn't have matching black brake levers!

In what way would you expect the chainset to look different? It's not a groupset I was familiar with but checking on Velobase, I can't see anything out of order. As I mentioned, it was a custom build, so perhaps it's just what the guy wanted :)

Pedalitis":2whg8kf9 said:
In what way would you expect the chainset to look different? It's not a groupset I was familiar with but checking on Velobase, I can't see anything out of order. As I mentioned, it was a custom build, so perhaps it's just what the guy wanted :)
I realised immediately when I re-read the spec again that I was talking rubbish so deleted the comment. I was getting it mixed up with the original style of DA chainset with which I'm more familiar. :oops:

Any offers at £1000 before it goes to eBay?

Back