Dating Colnago frame

hernehill69

Old School Hero
Hi folks,
I was recently lucky enough to acquire this Colnago frame. I intend to rebuild and use it with period correct parts as far as possible. Would appreciate your views on when it was made and what the original component spec would be.
A few notes:
1. It came with some C Record bits
2. It has a club shaped cut out in the BB
3. There is an unusual braze on under the top tube

Any help much appreciated :D
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0975 (1024x575).jpg
    IMG_0975 (1024x575).jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_0976 (575x1024).jpg
    IMG_0976 (575x1024).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 992
Hi - I almost had a bid on this one myself!

Early 80s.

Assuming the forks are original, I'd have this as an '82. According the the Colnago dating information available elsewhere (Ithink my copy came from the Classic Rendezvous forum), the stamped chainstays arrived circa '82 and that was the last year of the square fork crown before the sloping version in '83.

Classy!

Excellent, thank you.
I have spoken to the previous owner who says he bought it as is s/h in 1985 and was told it was 3/4 years old at the time. Ties in well with your dates. Is there any way of discovery the original or period spec?
Dave

Well here's a period brochure shot of the Super frame. I assume your frame is a Super, with those chrome lugs (although other members may have better knowledge). Mexico's had the indented tubes, Arabesque's the fancy lugs.

The original easy spec? I think your colour scheme is that of Freddy Maertens and the Sunair team in '81:

http://montour1959lasuite.blogspot.co.u ... -1981.html

Also some East German amateurs rode blue ones around that time - a search for Uwe Raab might turn up some examples.

Spec at the time would most likely have been either Campagnolo Nuovo or Super Record, probably 3TTT bars and stem (probably a model 78 stem), rims may have been Nisi or Ambrosio (there are some Colnago branded Ambrosios out on ebay), saddle - Saronni made the the Concor look `right' on Colnagos from about '82.

Colnago liked to pantograph it's components and brand toeclips / straps even saddles. There are a few rebadged 3TTT saddles out there if you look for them.

Be careful though - Colnago parts are highly collectable and therefore expensive. I fancied a NOS 3TTT pantographed stem for mine recently, but it sold for £300!

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 979
A bit of a follow up...
Thanks to Deax's help I have narrowed it down to a 1981/2 Colnago Super/Superisimo. Very similar to that ridden by Freddy Maertens to win the 81 world champinship in Prague - as in the pictures.
So I am going to rebuild it in the spirit of the 81 WC winning bike. Not a replica exactly but that period look.
The next challenge is to find the right bits without breaking the bank....
From my own parts bin, some Ebay finds and the generosity of the PO i have brakes, seat and wheels. I need some bars, the right chainset and derailleurs and all the other bits and pieces to put it together.
If there is any interest I'll start another thread and share progress with you guys...
Dave

Attachments

• freddy81 (672x800).jpg
    freddy81 (672x800).jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 923
  • Maertens Tour 1981 (617x640).jpg
    Maertens Tour 1981 (617x640).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 923
Back