1997 Kona Kapu - sourced

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: 1998 Kapu Munificent Mustard

evening all, just added a 98 Reynolds 853 to my stable, bought from the original owner who had it from new. paintwork is tatty and right shifter isn't working but if fits which was my overriding criteria. will ride through winter as my commuter before making my mind up on a full restoration but that German link is certainly inspirational as well as the one here with the green tape
Cheers WG

Re: 1997 Kona Kapu

Some pictures would be nice - IMO it's way too nice to be a winter commuter even if it's tatty.

So after a nerve racking week of trying to figure out logistics, I'm pleased to reveal that I've managed to find a 1995 Kapu in wonderful condition and even better, pretty much in my size. Fingers crossed the deal will complete on Monday so more details then :cool:

I'll do that, and glad you managed to find one, excellent news. Look forward to seeing it. From what I've read on the net and from talking to the previous owner of my bike, they are a very nice ride. Mine is still in the garage till I get a replacement sti
Cheers WG

Good work. Apart from feeding my 1997 Kona itch there is a bit of logic behind the madness of the pursuit of this generation of Kapu. I figured that the dimensions should "fit" my frame in that I'm so used to the riding position of these Kona's that the "switch" to one that happens to be a road bike should be more seamless. That's probably total nonsense but I like the reasoning.

So back to the update. Of course I'm still after a 97 and probably always will be since the chances of getting one in my size are next to nothing. That all said, if you keep hunting and are patient, eventually something cool will turn up. My usual weekly google drill down found a simple advert on Kijiji for a Kapu with "race light" mentioned. Naturally that got my spidy senses twitching since that's the decal found on most Kona's from the mid to late 90's. Could it be the fabled 1997 model? The ad didn't have much to go on apart from Ritchey and Campy. I fired off an email to the seller asking if he could share any information. I've done this a lot with no success so I wasn't hopeful of a reply.

Turns out the seller is a top man and was curious why some nutcase from across the pond was so eager to get this hands on his old bike. These were the shots he sent to me:

rn73.jpg

gq7p.jpg

I won't lie that I almost creamed myself when I saw them. An almost mint example of the first generation Kapu from the 1995 range. And even better, in a biggish size that should fit my frame. I believe is Columbus Genius tubing with Ritchey drop-outs; the guys at Kona have confirmed that.

There's more to the story but I'll save that for the "build" thread. The #1 objective now is to get it over to these shores. Thankfully a pal in NY is helping out so first off it's heading there before the final leg to over here.

Wow, amazing find, and well done on your perseverance. My one virtually fell in my lap by compariison as the owner had bought it over from Canada, and gave up on commuting in london as it was too hairy. I'm glad i bought it beacuse I think the chances of finding one in a size 49 would be incredibly lucky, but it's also Reynolds 853 - an itch that I wanted to scratch. Hope that transfer from the US all goes well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back