Is this 6 speed Hyperglide cassette worn out?

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I'm normally hovering around the road bike sections but I'm currently doing up a Claud Butler Exon as a pub bike. A test ride revealed some excessive gear slip and when I checked the chainset the teeth were well and truly worn. I swapped the chainset for a new Shimano triple and also a new chain. I've adjusted the gripshift gears and they are moving the correct distances. Although its much improved, the gears still slip , 4th slightly, 5th and 6th gears progressively worse. The derailleur seems fine, jockey wheels look ok and the derailleur tension seems good.

As a process of elimination I'm suspecting the cassette. I'm no expert on Shimano Hyperglide so wondered if any of you think this looks worn?

You should always try to change chain/cassette/chainrings together where possible.

The cassette doesn't have to look worn to be worn (4th and 6th look quite worn in the photo however). If you've changed everything else, then you can bet that the cassette is the culprit. Get it changed and your gears will be happy :)

Thanks for the advice :)

I've removed the old cassette, the 6th and 5th cogs are loose while the remaining 4 cogs are pinned together. From a quick search 6 speed hyperglide cassettes seem to be a bit rare! What would be the easiest/cheapest way to replace?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
yes can set it so dost use last or first gear using the stops on the mech ( ive done it lol )

You may find that 7 speed shimano cassette in the link slightly too wide to fit on your freehub, plus the spacing between the gears will be 5mm as opposed to the 5.5mm, which is regular 6 speed spacing, according to Sheldon Brown's Freewheel spacing crib sheet. Assuming your system is indexed, your gears may not index very well with the 5mm spacing of a shimano 7 speed cassette. Id reccommend this type of cassette instead of the shimano because, unlike that particular cassette in your link, this one can be succesfully taken apart.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunrace-Bicyc ... 3f169d8d9b

Just drill out the rivet heads holding it together, or undo the bolts, whichever it has, and leave off the largest sprocket. You can then swap the spacers from your old 6 speed cassette onto the new one for better indexing. Dont worry about the rivets/bolts that held cassette together originally, as they are for convenience really. Thread each cog and spacer individually onto the freehub splines, lock it up and you should be fine.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
6, 7 and 8 speed are all the same width cogs with slightly narrower spacings for 8 speed. 1mm spacers used for Hollowtech II bottom brackets are perfect as mini fine-tune spacers for bodging. Raid any 7 or 8 speed cassette for your cogs of choice. If they're not screwed together it's an easy 10 minute job to file off the 3 rivet heads that secure them together.

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

I've drilled out the 3 pins from the old 5 speed cassette and recovered the spacers. Now just waiting for the new seven speed to pull apart and bodge up a new one :)

I'll post pics of the result, it must be a problem for quite a few old 6 speed cassettes.

Back