Freeware antivirus recommendation for xp please?

Microsoft Security Essentials.

Or you could google it, which you'll probably have to anyways.

My antivirus consists of

not going on dodgy websites
not opening dodgy emails/attachments
not clogging my PC with pointless shitty programs like antivirus

It must be ten years since I had any virus issues.

technodup":132aqwd1 said:
My antivirus consists of

not going on dodgy websites
not opening dodgy emails/attachments
not clogging my PC with pointless shitty programs like antivirus

It must be ten years since I had any virus issues.

+1

Every few months I run ClamWin Portable, which I use to disinfect friends' and colleaugues' MSE, AVG, Avast and Antivir-protected PCs after they managed to get yet another virus. Haven't had an alert on my own PC in years.

I genuinely didn't realise people still used it. It was all the rage when 'the internet' started and things like the I Love You virus hit the news but I can only imagine it's pensioners using it these days, paranoid because someone told them their PC would die if they didn't get it. I bet my parents are still paying £75 a year to Norton to 'protect' themselves.

If you can manage to stop yourself opening exe files randomly emailed to you you should be fine.

As I remember it the sort of people who used it were precisely the sort who wouldn't have a clue what to delete when faced with a list of 'suspicious' files anyway.

Doesn't stop malware downloading onto whatever you are using to browse the Web so they can track your habits and send you targeted ad's for 'stuff' they think you may be interested in...

...like most people I used Norton to begin with until I realised that, like Topsy, it growed an' it growed! Tried Panda Titanium for a while; likewise! Even AVG. Then used Zonealarm for years until that too morphed into bloatware :|

Now I just use MSE; no problems whatsoever...

...like RB's above, every so often I run a pro scan just to check up on MSE but it's missed nothing yet. :cool:

I use CCleaner regularly to tidy up but will try MSE on one of the old laptops (Toshiba Satellite A30) and AVG on the other (Dell inspiron 9100). Will report back. Thanks

Having used the free AVG version for years, and after the wife got panicky about the amount of banking etc we do on the laptop, I bought the full version of AVG a few years ago, and it pretty much turned a perfectly user freindly, quick-ish-but-nothing-amazing laptop into an old 286 machine :evil:

Admittedly it is a bit full, butt hen it was before.....

Runs out next month.... MSE here we come

G

Back