For Sale Hinault 753R Custom Road Bike

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hinault 753R Custom Road Bike by Master Builder Dave Yates

For Sale is my 753 road bike built in the style of Bernard Hinault’s La Vie Claire team of the mid 1980s. It was built around 2008 for me by Dave Yates (http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/) using “his last set of 753 tubing” and all the nice braze ons etc that you’d expect to see on a top of the range road bike of the mid to late 1980s. It has hardly been used since I bought it as you can probably tell from the photos. The frame is beautiful and doesn’t do it justice to call it “used” as it only has a couple of small chips and fine scratches but so small that the camera can only pick one of them up. There are no dents whatsoever and the chrome is as perfect as the day it was delivered to me. The base of the Cinelli stem is scored where it’s been located slightly lower at one point and there are a few light scratches on the cranks from use but nothing that detracts from the look of this lovely old machine.

I can’t justify having this stunning old bike sitting here doing nothing for yet another year hence the sale. Ideally I’d like the prospective owner to come to North Ayrshire and view the bike in person but realise that this may not be possible, hence the myriad of photos in this link:

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/craigie ... sort=3&o=0

As a former bike mechanic and lightweight fanatic from that era, I took it upon myself to completely strip and rebuild the bike, right down to the bearings in the jockey wheels. The whole lot has been done. I also fitted a brand new pair of NOS 8 Speed Campagnolo Syncro Gear Levers as the old ones were never that good.

If you are as much of a Bernard Hinault / La Vie Claire fan as I am, this may be the closest you’ll get to owning one of their team bikes. I replicated this as well as I possibly could, right down to the transfers.

Anyway, the details:

24” Seat Tube Centre – Top
22 ½” Top Tube Centre – Centre
39 ½” Wheelbase
72 degree Seat Angle, 73 degree Head Angle (if I remember correctly)
Reynolds 753R Tubing built with Cinelli lugs, Cinelli Bottom Bracket Shell (British Thread) and Cinelli Externally Sloping Forkcrown, Campagnolo Road Dropouts and an 8 speed spacing
Pearlescent Silver with fully chromed front fork, R/H Chainstay and Rear Dropouts

Components:

Campagnolo Corsa Record 8 Speed Groupset with Brand New NOS Syncro Levers
Campagnolo Corsa Record Chainset - 53-39t/ 175mm and Corsa Record Bottom Bracket
Campagnolo Super Record Brake Calipers with Cobalto Centre Bolts and Synt Brake Pads (NOS Super Record Pads free with sale)
Ambrosio Metamorphosis 32h Rims built with S/S spokes, 12 – 23t Campagnolo Record 8 speed Cassette
Vittoria Rally 21mm Tubular Tyres (new and unused)
Cinelli 66 – 42 Bars
Cinelli 1R Stem - 105mm
NOS White Benotto Bar Tape
Black Rolls Saddle
Time Titan Magnesium Pedals

Price £995 (or £950 without the pedals – ideally I’d like to keep them)

Any questions then please pm or email me on lavieclaire1985@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Craig

ditto!

Would look great flying up a steep hill in Scotland!!

Richard

Latest posts

Back