Wheel building help

dan smith

Retro Guru
I have a set of rims and hubs that i was going to get built up at my local bike shop however I have decided to have a go at lacing them up myself!

I’m missing the spokes and nipples, but have decided to use DT swiss. Can anyone tell me the length of spoke I need for the following hubs and rims using Standard pattern, I believe the nipples need to be 2mm?

Hubs front and rear: Hope Ti-Glide (non disk) 32 Hole.
Rims Mavic F519

Thanks Dan

Avoid radial or anything fancy.Older hope just dont like it :? 36h likes it less.

As mentioned avoid fancy lacing, good old 3 cross is a good place to start for your first wheel, also build the front wheel first as a rim braked front wheel is probably the easiest to build. A little tip that I always do is to put a tiny bit of copper slip on the end of eat spoke before I fit the nipple.

Also have a look at this video of youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYl4NO5m16Q

Try to true any radial problems(how round the wheel is) sorted first, they're harder to deal with than lateral buckles.

Marge

Well, I laced up the front wheel last night, all seemed to go OK, spokes seem tight but I’m not sure how true it is!

The biggest problem I had was with the hub being used, groves had been left in the hub by the previous spokes which made the hub difficult to move.

Will build the rear once I can afford some more spokes! :facepalm:

Back