Rock Lobster not a US one

Just wanted to bump this thread up, as it is relevant to the following.....

Although frustrating that the info can be patchy due to owners/manufacturer reshuffle on this brand, the outcome is top notch. I now have ownership of b'hills frame and built it up a few weeks back. I wasn't really loking for another bike but, this popped up and seemed a good way to absorb parts that had accumulated. The parts thrown at it are purely coincidental but strangely correct to year. :) give or take some.

It rides really nice and looks the part. I will mentally hold it as 1997 (so i don't get boo'd if i bring it to a meet) you can date it as you see fit :LOL:

Colin, it lives!

The quality of the frame is top notch, not your usual generic alloy, it has a 'built to last' feel to it and welded nicely. I wouldn't say it is the lightest alu frame i've handled but still as light as what you would expect it to be. The gold anodising is a little war-torn but not in the black vs white sense, the bare alu and gold blend in quite well.
I just need to look for a front wheel with a gold/bronze rim to match better with the rear, again, not delibrate, it was in the shed doing nothing. :cool: we were meant to be!

cheers.

sweet looking ride :D i remember seeing the frame at colins house and took an instant liking to it :D got the 97 frame myself just in the middle of building, originaly the same colour as yours, but now powder coated grey with white nos indy c,
enjoy the ride ;)

Re:

Hairylegs66":7rkc0ear said:
Probably not much help but the Kinesis 7005 sticker on the tubing is identical to that on my 2010 Merlin Malt 1 frame.
Yep, I had a 2007 or 2008 Merlin Malt 1 and it does bear more than a slight resemblance. Shame I had to sell it, it was a great bike.

Re:

And she's back again!

Like a woman of ill repute she has yet another different guy riding her.

Attachments

• lobster 1.jpg
    lobster 1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 594
  • lobster3.jpg
    lobster3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 593
  • lobster2 (Small).jpg
    lobster2 (Small).jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 593
Re:

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you guys could give me some help with dating this rock lobster I found. My first thoughts are that it looks pretty similar to the first poster's so maybe it's a 97/98? Please ignore the setup which is pretty horrific and the number of locks attached to the back. I'm going to start changing it and setting it up for a bike packing style cycle tour (goodbye single speed, charge forks etc).

Cheers, Dean

Attachments

• IMG-20191228-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20191228-WA0003.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG-20191228-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20191228-WA0004.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG-20191228-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20191228-WA0005.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 332
Re:

Oh one final remark, I haven't ruled out that it's not a rock lobster at all so if you think that's the case, fire away!

Re:

Looks like a rock lobster to me. The later Merlin direct sale ones. Nice size and will be great for your plans

Re: rock lobster

Yes correct the expert is the licensed Taiwan frame
I had one but moved it on to a friend
Paul told me they were about 90 % quality of his hand made frames at about 1/3 the cost

Back