Escape From Doncatraz - Aftermath 01/09/13

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

So here's the aftermath post.

All in all ten riders made it on the day, a nice mix of old and new bikes attended along with a few of the usual suspects and some new faces.

The ride started as planned at the prison in central Doncaster but soon left behind the inner city behind. Winding along the north bank of the river Don gave the riders a nice introduction to the ride, we were soon warmed up due the styles and gates in the first mile or two.

The ride in general was fairly quick paced with few stops for pictures and chin wagging although we did manage to stop a few times for water stops as expected. The half way point, I thought, was perfect. A nice cup of tea and a Pork Sandwich with stuffing and gravy was had by a few of us, very tasty indeed.

The ride back was just as quick but we did stop for a little bit of a play in the woods where the downhill tracks are, we also stopped for a few minutes in the large quarry area featured in the video shown in the main ride thread.

In summary, great weather if a little windy, great guys, no injuries (save for some nettle stings hehe) and no mechanicals.

I can't post any of my pictures as Photobucket is run by Nazis who have cut me off and Flicr won't let me reference the images via a link. Oh how I hate the Internet.

Google+ for images, works for me.

There was the small mechanical of a lovely bent large ring and disappearing act of a chain ring bolt, did you miss that ?

Just need to pop mine up.

I hope not my legs are knackered hehehe

Need to re visit the last section with more time to spare, the downhill sections need some riding. You'll love it Chris.

We need guiding around the wooded (Nearcliff) and quarry area to Farcliff Wood next time and we'll follow you, build it into the route.

I still think we could ride out over the grass from 'added for marc even though not there' castle ;)

Have a blast down and see how far round you can go without having to ride the A6023/LowRoad

Sounds like nice pleasant ride dudes. What's this castle business then? I can bring a trowel if it's out of sight ;)

Just the other day(weds) i was cleaning windows(pretending to) on northbridge road. I looked out the window to see that motorbike shop....then i realised that was the start point for that ride, signed for H.M.P. I was on other side near halfords. Small world innit! That jossey lane down bentley is still closed! I wish they would get a move on with that, puts a whole 3 mins on my journey time ;)

Yes, doncaster needed this exposure, good work rich, i hope to join in next time( just avoid jossey lane on the way in) ;)

marc two tone":sg5a5ky3 said:
Sounds like nice pleasant ride dudes. What's this castle business then? I can bring a trowel if it's out of sight ;)

Just the other day(weds) i was cleaning windows(pretending to) on northbridge road. I looked out the window to see that motorbike shop....then i realised that was the start point for that ride, signed for H.M.P. I was on other side near halfords. Small world innit! That jossey lane down bentley is still closed! I wish they would get a move on with that, puts a whole 3 mins on my journey time ;)

Yes, doncaster needed this exposure, good work rich, i hope to join in next time( just avoid jossey lane on the way in) ;)

Let me know when you have a Sunday free, I'll put the ride on again just for you. The two of us can have a crack at it if you like. The castle in question is linked in the original ride thread ;-) (Open to all comers obviously).

This post lacks pictures.

The start
P1080562.JPG

off on our way
P1080563.JPG

P1080564.JPG

Stopping for a break
P1080568.JPG

P1080569.JPG

Grivin
P1080570.JPG

Lunch already... Obligatory picture of the food, damn to nice we've eaten it already
P1080565.JPG

Improving the Art
The RetroTree Doncaster
P1080572.JPG

P1080573.JPG

P1080580.JPG

Didn't ride it this time, still in pain from the National. Time to take pictures (high dusty winds have damaged my camera shutter though :( )
Quarry Time
P1080592-PANO.jpg

P1080584.JPG

P1080586.JPG

P1080588.JPG

P1080589.JPG

Off for some .. thing
P1080590.JPG

What's Spud looking at ;)
P1080599.JPG

The castle is at Conisborough and apparently Ian Hislop was there filming, we saw the back of a head which might have been him. Great pictures, great ride, bring on the next one.

yup, top day riding with a top group of lads, the woods were ace, the quarry was interesting and overall i am so glad i have ridden somewhere i aint ridden before, i will be back and next time..........retro lol

Latest posts

Back