Kona Cinder Kone

TFIG

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi!
Can you help me telling me which year is this Kona? Is this a 18'? What about its components? I'd like to have a retro MTB (I have some retro road bikes), but I don't know if I shall buy it...
Thanks a lot.
All the best.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 735
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 735
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 734
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 735
It's a 1995 and indeed looks like an 18", I say buy it :D Not completely original by any means but the frame looks very clean.

Re: Kona Cinder Cone

Kona Cinder Cone. Hint for spelling: check the frame ;).

Seems to be somewhat full LX-groupset too. LX is indeed retro now. Really sweet looking bike but try to check it carefully IRL.

Thanks a lot for your help!

In 1995, was this a top or medium quality frame? What about the groupset? And the front suspension?

Would this frame fit me? I'm 6'1 (+-182cm).

What would be a reasonable price for this?

Thanks again!

TFIG":3iot8s06 said:
Thanks a lot for your help!

In 1995, was this a top or medium quality frame? What about the groupset? And the front suspension?

Would this frame fit me? I'm 6'1 (+-182cm).

What would be a reasonable price for this?

Thanks again!

The Cindercone was around the middle of the Kona range in 95 and a lot of people agree that it was the best spec'd Cindercone for the money.

I would say the 18" would fit you with a bit of seatpost, a 19" would probably be ok too. You can check out the 1995 Kona spec by clicking this link http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... t.pdf.html you can compare the spec with what it would've had when purchased originally. This link shows the various Shimano groupsets through the years and where they figured in the range http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/Shimano_Groupsets

As for price, well I would expect it to go for somewhere between £150 up to £200+ on a good day

It's a size 17 in fact, which is intended for height up to 5-9, so I doubt whether you would be happy with it.

Like most things try before you buy,

That said IMO 17" will be too small for you. The 95 CC was IMO the best spec CC Kona ever did. Check the catalogue but it had an XT mech for a start. It had cantis with curves and ran TB P2's. If you want originalitiy then its lost those.

The frame looks good but of course check and ask about cracks and dents.

Yup al-onestare's right about the wrong rear mech, brakes and lack of P2 fork. Also not original for a '95 CC are the stem (it's Kona but from a later bike), seat post, saddle, cassette, wheels (rims and hubs), pedals and cable routing, rear dog collar is missing (removed to fit v-brakes). Also it's supposed to have SRT600 Gripshift, not the SRT400. Interestingly the '95 catalogue states 7 speed as per the bike pictured here, but late '95 model CCs were 8 speed in readiness for the '96 model year so this might be an earlier/mid '95 and/or it has gained the LX rear mech and SRT400 from a LavaDome or similar. So it's a bit of a mix'n'match bike bit looks quite nice anyway.
17" definately too small for 6'1", 18" also too small really and even 19" is a bit boarderline, though you'd be OK with a 19". I'm 5'11" and was fitted at an original Kona Dealer in '96 with a 19" frame, it's great but i wouldn't want it any smaller - just my experience but others may have other opinion.

Well, thanks a lot! You're very very helpful. I decided to give up this bike, since it may be small for me. I 'll keep trying to find something like this.

Meanwhile, I'm considering other different options. I think maybe I could save some more money and get a +- 8 years old titanium bike. Here're my 2 options. Any comment would be very welcome.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 576
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 576
Completely different bikes. You need to either think about what riding you want to do and/or take them for a spin.

That airbourne is ace though.

Back