Can I buy modern wheels for my retro bike?

geeo123

Retro Newbie
Il start with I don't know much about road bikes.

So recently I bought a 12 speed Raleigh Phoenix (6 cogs at the back 2 on the front) and I want to do it up.

I want to buy a new wheelset but Im think I'm on a freewheel system but all the new wheels are freehub, what can I do? because but I cant seem to buy new wheels that will fit a freewheel.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 712
Check out Hilary Stones website for some wheels or contact Pete Matthews & discuss your needs with him being one of the UK best wheelbuilders.

The simple answer is yes, but it will take some work. First the rear spacing on you bike is 126mm so you will need to cold set or have a pro re-align the rear to 130mm. If you plan on sticking with the downtube shifters make sure they work on friction not index as your modern wheelset will have more gears. Once you have selected your wheels and cassette you will need narrow chain to correspond with the number of gears in the back (i.e. if you buy a 9 speed cassette you need a 9speed chain)

Lastly from a purely aesthetic perspective bin that cahinset its awful... sorry just my opinion.

Steven

Is the wheel in the link superior to the ones on the bike? When the OP asked about modern wheels I assumed they wanted to upgrade to a low spoke count super light weight modern clincher.

lewisfoto":e7p3ubbt said:
Is the wheel in the link superior to the ones on the bike? When the OP asked about modern wheels I assumed they wanted to upgrade to a low spoke count super light weight modern clincher.

So are you saying their going to be rubbish?

I am sure it is fine just don't think it's an upgrade from what is currently on the bike. Though you never said why you wanted to change wheels. Is it because the current set is worn out? or do you want a better wheel set?

lewisfoto":g7w19r9f said:
I am sure it is fine just don't think it's an upgrade from what is currently on the bike. Though you never said why you wanted to change wheels. Is it because the current set is worn out? or do you want a better wheel set?

Well you cant tell in the photograph but the wheels are not in the greatest condition and as I am trying to restore is to look nice but its not just going to sit around looking nice i will be riding it a lot so would be nice if they improved the ride!

Any other upgrade you can suggest I make i have around £200 all in all to make upgrades including the wheels

I would look on Ebay, Gumtree etc for a low miles set of Shimano 600, or 105, hubs with say Mavic rims or the like from the 80s. They last forever and are very smooth, likely will give you more miles than the new set shown. Plus Shimano made hundreds of thousands of these hubs so availability should be good.

Latest posts

Back