Does anyone ride Retro and Modern?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Sorry Tel if this is in the wrong forum. I looked in the post 98 section and it was all about tractors.

I have struggled all summer with a rather delicate (well two rather delicates I suppose) health problem. I have had scans to rule out anything very serious, (thanks Tad, your thread made me call the doctor) which thankfully it wasn't.

It could become serious though. The doctor doing the scan said it was classic cyclist damage and that the best thing to do would be to reduce the amount of riding I do. I think it was a winter of turbo rides on an ill fitting fixed that was mainly to blame so I don't want to turn my back on what has always been part of my life.

I am wondering if a modern glued soot bike would absorb vibration better than my steel bikes. The only sensible answer I have had so far was from Cadence Sport. People there have ridden both so are in a position to report. You really don't want to know some of the answers I have had from some of the babes in arms bike shops seem to recruit these days!

I would value the opinions of any here who ride both. How do they differ? The bike I'm looking at is the Trek Domane with its fancy seat tube decoupling gizmo.

I think that along with a proper fitting may help. £3200 is a big gamble if the old (un)happy sacs flare up again!

Thoughts please?

I ride both, and have to say that my caygill 653 is smoother and feels more comfortable than my pinarello paris carbon. I can't say if that's due to the frame, the wheels, the tubs, saddle, position, or a combination of those things. That said, my carbon bike is a 2006 model, so outdated compared to modern carbon, which I haven't tried. It's possible that one of the modern frames like the domane, specialized roubaix, etc, that are designed to be more comfortable, will be. Personally I think that having a frame that fits correctly, followed by choice of wheels and tyres, saddle, and position, are what makes the difference between one bike and another. There are just far too many variable to be able to say that one bike is more comfortable than another! Anyone that says carbon is definitely more comfortable than steel is full of BS, and the anyone under the age of 25 that works in a bike shop is unlikely to have tried a decent steel road frame anyway!

Before dropping big money on a new bike, I'd investigate some traditional 32 spoke wheels, fitted with some wide tyres (preferably tubs or even tubeless), maybe a change of saddle and bars, along with position.

Unless you just need a decent excuse to get a new bike approved by the missus, in which case, yes of course, the new domane will increase comfort 217% over your old bike and is an absolute must in your situation!

Whatever happens, I hope you get sorted and can keep riding for many more miles yet!

I have ridden both & currently on a 2010 Time RXR Ulteam which is very comfortable - however deep section carbon wheels will give you a harsh ride in terms of bumps off the road but with the added advantage of a very responsive ride. 25mm tire/tubs would also help you on a more comfortable ride coupled with a good saddle which you will have to explore as saddle is a personal choice only you would find after rides.
A colleague has a Ti Baum & swears its really is comfy & great for long rides so Ti maybe a route worth considering.
Rotor Q-rings will aid in your rides & you will notice after that you really ache less so good recovery results.

A mate had his arm shattered in a bike accident and when he returned to riding found the road vibration so painful he was going to quit. He tested the Specialized Robaix and it was a revelation, no pain. Bought it on the spot...

Steven

I can tell you that my '85 RIH with Reynolds 531 is more confortable than my 2008 carbon Lapierre. Even though my Lapierre is the "confortable" one, there was another frame (Francaise des Jeux replica) that was supossed to be more stiff.

Thanks everyone. I looked at the Specialized but can't get past the top tube. It looks more like a mountain bike than my mountain bike does!

Before this trouble occurred, I was thinking of getting a titanium bike. I am now wondering if a northern classic inspired frame would be better again.

For the record, my two bikes are 853 and 531. Both have traditional 32 spoke low profile wheels. The 531 has tubs fitted.

El Juli":2h78u2dr said:
I can tell you that my '85 RIH with Reynolds 531 is more confortable than my 2008 carbon Lapierre. Even though my Lapierre is the "confortable" one, there was another frame (Francaise des Jeux replica) that was supossed to be more stiff.

I have 531 bike and always found it comfortable, I borrowed my cycling buddy's Giant TCR?? Carbon today for a 3 hours ride and found it so much for hard than mine, although the gearing, brakes and the lack of downtube shifters were a pleasure :cool:

I agree with that a proper saddle (in the proper position, not too high, and sweet spot fore and aft) and some higher volume tires would probably make more difference than frame material. Also you must have the proper handlebar hight to avoid excessive pressure, either on your rear or your hands. I think I once had a similar issue to yours and I did the above plus used some saddles with cutouts to relieve pressure. After a season I had no more problem but I've always been sure since not to run my saddle to high. Good luck.

Going to be a little controversial here, my modern carbon bike is a lot more comfortable than my retro steel bike.

Maybe that's partly because the carbon frame is a 56cm, versus my 60cm 753? Maybe it's the gearing, but I could ride the Carbon bike for far longer.

All of that said, riding the steel bike is far more fun.... and far more of an occasion

Back