Another exciting campag bb question.

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Ok, bought my Colnago superissimo on ebay. Mid 80's SR chain set running on Chorus sealed bb. Recently developed a wee wobble, so stripped it to find coke can shims spacing the drivevside crank. When I tried to refit without the shim the inner ring was virtually touching the stay. Removed bb and measured axle at 117mm which seems like it should be long enough. Am I another victim of jis vs iso?
Read a bit and I know campag changed to iso late 80's/90's so is my chorus iso and SR cranks jis? Crank tapers are still fine so that's not the trouble. Either way I need a new bb.

Opinions and advice please.

That's what I thought. Easy fix at least before any damage done to cranks.
Thanks.

Shaun

That was my point exactly because folks use "SR" to refer to both the Campagnolo Super Record bits and the Sakae Ringko knowing which chainset he has will change the diagnosis completely.

Steven

Sorry for the confusion Midlife is right Super Record Strada.
So it is ISO then, but what axle length then?
The one I took out is 117 and still not long enough. Having a close look it seems like the drive side axle is shorter than the non drive. Could it be a pista bb?

Drive side should be longer than the non-drive side if the axle is assymetrical........are you looking at it the right way?

Normally Pista axles are the same length.

Something doesn't sound right.

Shaun

were not BB's for italian bikes a little longer at 115mm because of the wider BB shell ??

Shaun

Back