...creaky saddle rails

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

Anyone got any handy hints for creaky saddles? I am pretty sure its the rails that keep cracking/creaking within the seatpost clamp....I have tried a bit of grease but still creaks!

Doug

Not that i've tried this yet, but.....

I'm going to be filling sockets with epoxy resin or maybe translucent silicone to try cusion that creaking. I've got a sell turbo matic. It is creaky before being attached to seatpost, old and well used sort of creak.

I will tune in for any tips that come in.

cheers.

I've got a Bike Hut saddle from Halfrauds [Marc Two Tonewas appalled], which is great but after four years of hard use it is really creaking. It's embarrassingly loud now..

suburbanreuben":2sbw6nac said:
Are you sure it's not the seatpost creaking within the seat tube?
Mine was!

Not 100% could be the post...carbon post in carbon frame...worth a shot! Normal grease ok or copper or something completely different?!

Normal grease should be OK to see if it is that, but you can get proper carbon paste that contains micro carbon grit. It allows you to use a lot less clamping pressure on carbon components. It works too!

suburbanreuben":l9ag968w said:
Normal grease should be OK to see if it is that, but you can get proper carbon paste that contains micro carbon grit. It allows you to use a lot less clamping pressure on carbon components. It works too!

Now I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip!

What kind of saddle? Is it a sprung saddle by chance? If it is, the"creaking" might be its spring(s).

Im getting it with a 2nds use post. Creaks something terrible :? Although ive not been out on it since doing it ,i the other day sprayed oil where the rails are held. Not gt85 but spray oil. spray on ,wipe off and hopefully it will track inbetween the rail/clamp and stop the bloody annoying noise.
Rubbing charcoal on the rails might help, lead from a pencil would do also. Ive heard of this somewhere :?

For those with a squeaky wheelbarrow wheel a temporary fix is to pee on it, well on the axle mounts and it takes the annoying squeak away :D

One other question... Do you use a seatpost shim/spacer? Is it metal? If the "creaking" it not cause by the saddle rails, and you've not already done the following - try a bit of anti seize compound or lube, between the SP and shim, and the shim and the seat tube.

Back