Manitou SX Steerer

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a lovely condition pair of Manitou Sx Ti's but the steerer is way too short to be of any use to me.

The manuals all say the steerer is not replaceable but I'm loathe to right off a nice pair of forks without trying something.

Anyone ever tried to remove the steerer on these forks? I'm presuming they are press fit only and a mate has access to a hydraulic press at work so I may be able to try that route?

theres a big difference between writing off by squashing them in a press vs passing along/swapping selling for something that suits your needs. Does the need to experiment with a press outweigh the possible resale value in your eyes?

They have no resale value the steerer is about 3 inches long so they are useless unless the steerer will come out.

I'm not all excited about playing with a press just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to remove them.

I guess the simplest solution is to buy a cheap pair of tidy SX and swap the crown / leg assembly over - cost around £50.

I bet it's fairly easily doable to fit a new steerer with a fly press, frozen Marzocchi steerer and warmed crown.

I once cut a pressed in steerer out of a crown, just to see how it 'works' and, they are well in there, sort of splined. I doubt heat or cold would be of assistance either.

I would hold on 'til you find something else. A full upper assembly transplant would be possible, but pointless as you would have what you needed by that point, unless the donor fork had really knackered lower legs. Without the correct tools it's a devils own job too.

I've had the steerer replaced on a couple of sets of forks. I've no idea how it was done, but it was and i had no issues with them. A member on here did it for me for a fee, so its possible. Mine were judys if that helps.

Right I thought I would update this thread in case anyone is looking for a similar answer in the future.

I eventually found changing the steerer was very simple indeed, all it involved was a fairly bad day at work, a foul temper and a lump hammer, 2 minutes later the old steerer popped out and the new one was greased up and knocked back in.

Manitou Sx Ti's are now fitted to my Tequesta and looking very nice indeed :D

chrisv40":6flpw6x2 said:
I eventually found changing the steerer was very simple indeed, all it involved was a fairly bad day at work, a foul temper and a lump hammer, 2 minutes later the old steerer popped out and the new one was greased up and knocked back in.

Well done! :D

As someone who regularly uses presses/lump hammers to assemble/disassemble bits of British motorbike, the fears and mysteries people attach to steerer replacement has always puzzled me. ;)

Latest posts

Back